left bu$$$$$yness observer

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 27 11:33:07 MDT 1996

At 3:48 AM 5/27/96, MimiLazlo at aol.com wrote:

>mimi here. ive bin observin. last week i got a job
>for a catering company. took me inside a virtuwal factory for a cpl of days.
>now  its like 2 different workforces in the vacume behind the security wall.
>about 250 peeple making video games. #1  workforce is production.
>iz the boys who get a cut of the profits. the self-managing *profit-slaves*.
>maybe 150? of them up & coming.  identification w/ the company is
>total!
>
>#2 workforce wuz made up of practically everyone else:  secrtary &  librarian
>& vacume cleaner. seemed  like 90% women. wage slaves managed on a short term
>contract basis. they have the option to  buy in but cant afford 2. scarred of
>becoming roadkill on the information  superhi way the day after tomorrow.
>
>so lbo i wanna know iz this the genderscape in the computer
>industry or did i see an anomaly?

Hello Mimi there. Yeah, the workforce has been/is being further divided
into a core of the well-paid and reasonably secure, and an army of
ill-paid, insecure "contingent" workers. A very high portion of the
contingent workers - not only in the U.S., but in electronics and garment
factories in the Third World - are women, especially women between the ages
of 16 and 25. Women are preferred because they're thought to be, by their
male bosses, dexterous, enthusiastic, and deferential - i.e., easier to
exploit. But not all the bosses, and ever-fewer of the professionals, are
men. In particular, women have entered the programming field in fairly
large numbers, and continue to do so. That's the problem with simple
gender-based models of exploitation.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood