Capitalism in Russia

Rahul Mahajan rahul at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Wed May 29 04:50:05 MDT 1996

Adam:

>How do you explain the existence of the Putilov works in Petrograd,
>if there was no capitalism in Russia ? The Putilov works was as
>advanced as anything anywhere else in the world at the time. much
>like the car plants in Brazil today.
>
>Sure, this existed side by side with the most backward feudal relations
>you could imagine ( although these began to change after 1905, and
>was one reason the outcome of 1917 was so different to that of 1917 ).
>But this combined and uneven development is not the same as saying
>that Russia consisted ONLY of a backward mass of oppressed peasants.

Well, Adam, here's something else we agree on. Obviously there was a
moderate degree of capitalist development in Russia prior to 1917. Most of
the heavy industry was foreign-owned, giving Russia the status of a
semi-colony, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

I do think, however, that the outcome of 1917 was very similar to that of 1917.

Rahul