Reply to: Re: Stalinist ANC?

Adam Rose adam at pmel.com
Thu May 30 04:58:01 MDT 1996

>  Jon Flanders:
>
>   Who on earth is saying anything like this? Isn't it obvious that now that de
> jure apartheid has been overthrown, the way is clear for the development of
> the class struggle?
>
>   You can call me a stageist if you want, but certainly here in the US we have
> advanced as a result of the destruction of Jim Crow. Now of course we have the
> development of a black upper class and immiseration of a large section of the
> black working class. This is a result of the workings of capitalism cleared of
> the undone democratic tasks.
>
>   Leaders like Mandela and Martin Luther King rose to the tasks presented to
> them. They should be saluted for what they did, not vilified for what they
> never promised to do or could not do.

Mandela should be saluted for leading a successful struggle against Apartheid.
It was brilliant watching him come out of jail, and watching the Tories here
who had denounced him as a terrorist doing summersaults to praise him as a
great statesman. Having him as president in SA is a blow to racists everywhere.

But it should be recognised that one of the most serious problems in SA today,
the violence of Inkatha, is partly a result of the compromises Mandela and
the ANC made with Buthulezi during the national liberation struggle.

Similarly, Martin Luther King did create the climate in which Blacks in the
northern states started to mobilise against racism. But when they did,
his tactics were completely innappropriate to the conditions in the North.
The reforms won in the US had as much to do with the riots in the big
cities, and the more militant politics informing and growing out of it,
as with Martin Luther King.

But having said that, he was still a million times better than Jesse Jackson,
for instance.

>   Adolph Reed had very interesting piece in the Village Voice recently on the
> subject of a movement of nostalgia in the black upper class for the "good old
> days" of segregation. Farrakhan taps into this in a big way.
>
>   The recent film, Devil in a Blue Dress, set in post WW2 LA, with Denzel
> Washington, is suffused with this longing for the past. It portrays a world
> that had certainty of place and position that neither money or love could
> change. Check it out, particularly the last shot before fadeout.

Yes, I've seen it. I really enjoyed it. OK, so there was the "happy familly
American Dream" shot at the end. But I did enjoy the gritty feel, the contrast
between rich and poor, the way Washington was afraid to even drive through
some areas because Blacks in cars were in danger if they did. Simply having a
Black man as the Raymond Chandler type character was good, I thought.

Did I miss something ?

Adam.

Adam Rose
SWP