PERU: Interview with a Poet's Mother.

Luis Quispe lquispe at blythe.org
Thu May 30 19:09:36 MDT 1996

[Special interview with the mother of the Peruvian poet Jose
Dominguez Valdivia "JOVALDO", heroe of the Peruvian people,
assassinated by the armed forces in the Concentration Camp of El
Fronton on June 19, 1986. Published in English by The New Flag]

        "The Tearless Eyes of the Mother of a Murdered Poet"
           Francisca Dominguez, repressed and jailed.

["El Fronton: open tomb of 300 political prisoners whose blood has
flooded the conscience of Peru and the world."]

Francisca Dominguez Flores, mother of Jovaldo, a poet murdered at El
Fronton on June 19, 1986 pointed out at the start of this conversation
that she would not spill one tear for the death of her son, because such
would only gladden the monstrous faces of the butchers who commit
henyous crimes in the prisons of this country.

With unlimited tenderness, she stated that the blood of her beloved son
and of the 300 murdered prisoners, will run through the fields and
planters of this aggrieved Peru, our country, and from there "they will
sprout like bountiful trees the children of the people."

Francisca Dominguez, mother of four children, said that the poet
Jovaldo was the best of them. She precised with pride that he died with
his forehead and fist raised high, without asking his murderers for
mercy.

She is an exemplary woman and on the same day of the slaughter
(June l9) she was arrested by members of DIRCOTE, where she was
unjustly kept until June 27. There in that confinement she surfered
perhaps the most dramatic moments related to the genocide of 300
political prisoners. The charge by DIRCOTE was that she carried in
her purse a poem (reprinted below) by her son Jovaldo.

With decomposed faces the police told her that that poem, the last from
Jovaldo, was subversive, although its title merely was: "I ASK THE
PRISON."

She denounced that the harassments to the families of the political
prisoners and prisoners continued. She added: "Just like hundreds of
mothers of the people fallen in combat," all she asks is, that the corpse
of her son be given to her, which this government, already on its
inexorable repressive road, refuses to do so.

Question: How does one feel after having lost a son?
Answer: I, as a mother, feel an immense pain for having lost the best
of my children, however I will not shed a single tear for that reason,
because my tears would only help gladden his murderers. The son I lost
was not only mine, but of all the people, of that I am proud and that
pride helps me to continue forward.

Question: Aren't you afraid that the police might again put you in jail?
Answer: With my son I learned not to be afrais of telling the truth,
besides I am just one of the thousands of mothers of murdered or
disappeared sons and daughters.

Question: Why was your son Jovaldo imprisoned?
Answer: My son served, up to the day he was murdered, three and a
half years in prison, and notice that the prosecutor had only requested
two years of imprisonment for him! Jovaldo was put in prison for being
on the side of the people, because since he was a child he fought
against injustice, against corruption, because he wanted a better world
for the children and the poor of this country. He sought freedom and a
genuine peace without men, women and children dying of hunger. That
was my son's crime, and for that, just for that, they riddled him with
bullets until he was dead on that early morning of June 19.

Queation: Why do you say that Jovaldo was the best of your children?
Answer: I will always be proud of him. Although his young age, he
was a writer and a poet committed to the people and their struggles. He
fell with his forehead raised high, unafraid of embracing the ideology
of the people. Jovaldo never kneeled before the enemy. He, together
with those 300 children of the people murdered with him, knew that
this government prepared a genocide in the prisons. He did not run
away, he defended his life with a very high morale and the right to
think as a free man.

Question: What example your son left for this generation?
Answer: Finally, I make a call to the people of Peru and to all the
oppressed, that they unite with us in the struggle against this genocidal
regime. Now it murdered the defenseless prisoners, tomorrow its
murderers will continue by killing anyone opposed to their political and
military plans.

Jovaldo, 34, the people's poet, murdered on that tragic June l9 at El
Fronton. He was arrested on March 29, 1983. His great crime: Writing
poems and distributing them among the workers and the people.

The workers remember well how this people's poet since 1974 was
completely devoted to diffusing his literature. He had fallen riddled
with genocidal bullets, but his poems, like epic songs, perhaps reaching
the sky, will continue to circulate from one factory to the next, from
one People's Committee to the next, blending themselves into eternity.

    Today, for the first time in English, we reproduce part of his last
poem, written in the month of March, 1986 at El Fronton, a sharp
poem revealing all the tragedy of the genocide in the prisons of Peru.

Today More than Ever, Fierce.         Hoy Mas Que Nunca Feroz.

Here, there or wherever it may be,    Aqui, alla o donde sea
they will crash against a bastion:    Chocaran con un bastion:
Callao, Fronton, Lurigancho           Callao, Fronton, Lurigancho
will not surrender their condition.   no rinden du condicion.

When the class moral is at stake,     Cuando en juego de la clase
it doesn't matter what happens to us  su moral esta en la accion
fighting here in the prison.          no importa lo que nos pase
                                      combatiendo en la prision.

If to Canto Grande pretends to        Si a Cantogrande pretende
transfer us the reactionaries;        trasladarnos la reaccion;
>from here nobody will go out          de aqui no saldra ninguno
while a single heart beats.           mientras lata un corazon.

We are prepared for anything          Para todo preparados
with resolute conviction;             con resuelta conviccion;
we are armed very well with the       estamos muy bien armados
just ideology.                        con la justa concepcion.

The "repuchos" [Trans. Republican     No han podido los repuchos
guards] have not been able to bend    doblegar nuestra razon;
our reason; neither will the marines  pues tampoco los marinos
or any other cannon fodder.           u otro carne de ca~non.

Fist high with firmness               Pun~o en alto con violence
we raise our voices;                  levantamos nuestra voz;
for the infernal resistance           por la infernal resistencia
today more than ever fierce.          hoy mas que nunca feroz.

Note. The magazine The New Flag will print a booklet with several
poems of Jovaldo. Should you like a copy, feel free to contact us:
Published by The New Flag
30-08 Broadway, Suite 159
Queens, NY 11106
PCP WEB PAGE: