Classical references was Re: ...but I write this reeling

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu May 30 22:48:05 MDT 1996

At 08:59 AM 5/30/96 +0000, you wrote:

>Gary writes:
>
>> Ah age shall not wither it, nor the years condemn.
>
>I think this is an incorrect quote from Anthony + Cleopatra.
>
>I think "Age shall not wither her [ ie Cleopatra ] , nor custom
>stale her infinite variety" is closer.
>
>Adam.

Wro--oong.  The classical allusion is elsewhere.  The bit you quote is my
gloss (You know like postmodern intertexuality, mate) on the Rememberance
Day ramble. It goes

They shall not grow old
As we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them etc

I think that is by Grenfell??

(I have to say this much, Rose that I am incredibly miffed that you should
suggest that I'd make a mess of a queen's speech. "Incorrect"...Humph!!)

regards

Gary