"Green" warfare 11/15: Statement by MFK, se, '96

Rolf Martens rolf.martens at mailbox.swipnet.se
Fri May 31 23:55:04 MDT 1996

For the environment: Keep nuclear power! (MFK, se) [Posted: 09.04.96]

[I reproduce here in translation a statement by the recent annual meeting of
our association MFK, Sweden]

STATEMENT BY THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE ASSOCIATION ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDS FOR
NUCLEAR POWER (MFK) IN STOCKHOLM ON 23.3.1996

     The association Environmental Friends for Nuclear Power through
its annual meeting on this day appeals:

  FOR THE ENVIRONMENT'S SAKE: KEEP NUCLEAR POWER!

     The final report of the Energy Commission and several concurring
independent investigations unequivocally show that a phasing out of
nuclear power means a heavy load on our environment. The fact of
great economic cost also has been demonstrated.

     *But not in one single respect has anyone been able to
demonstrate any gain through a phase-out.*

     In the general debate, it is sometimes stated that the risks to the
population would decrease as a result of a phase-out of nuclear
power.

    *But all available material points to increased risks.*

     Opponents of nuclear power sometimes maintain that a phase-out
would create new opportunities for employment. To destroy quite
well-functioning reactors would mean inflicting enormous damage.

     *Replacing functioning reactors makes for a deterioration of the
environment and increasing health risks for people.*

     Moreover, we still hold that the "brainwash paragraph" of the Law
on Nuclear Techology must be repealed, so that it is no longer a
criminal offence to make a comparing calculation of what new
nuclear power in Sweden would cost - not least in the environmental
and health respects - compared to other alternatives for the
production of elektricity.

The annual meeting of Environmental Friends for Nuclear Power, Stockholm,
1996-03-23

through

Indrek Martinson
Chairman
Professor of Physics

[So far the statement of our annual meeting. MFK Internet adresses:]

E-mail: mfk at sbbs.se  Home pages:

http://www.sbbs.se/com/home/dambo/
http://www.sbbs.se/com/home/dambo/mfk.html
http://www.sbbs.se/com/home/dambo/esidan.html