International comparisons of unemployment conditions

Jj Plant jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 15:50:00 MDT 1996

In Britain they abolished the link between unemployment benefit and
your previous earnings long ago. Everybody gets the minimum (which is
really small). You can then claim for additional money for children,
rent or whatever. They can also stop all support, for a number of
reasons. In my case, because my last employer fired me, the benefits
bureaucracy can stop all my payments for up to 6 months. Of course I
can fight the employers decision and the bureaucrats decision through
official procedures, but both of those take a long time, during which
you get zero money for food, housing, clothes, heat, light etc.

jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk