Factory work was easier

Kevin Cabral kcabral at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Oct 2 13:14:49 MDT 1996

On 1 Oct 1996, Jon Flanders wrote:

>  >> Mr. Thibeault earned $34,000 last year. "When I tell people what I do,
> they don't believe I am a manager," he says. "Some days I think maybe
>  I should go back to factory work. It was easier." <<Louis P(WSJ)
>
>  Jon Flanders:
>
>   Yup, my job, despite inside brake shoes, is easier than Mr. Thibeault's.
> This bottom rung of the middle management layer is really getting whacked. To
> my mind, this development will be an important element in the growing crisis
> of consensus for the ruling class.
>
>   They have depended on this middle management layer to be a transmission belt
> for ruling class ideology. Now they are throwing them overboard by the gross
> while working those who are left to death. This leaves the billionaires at the
> top more isolated and exposed.

	There is an article in this week's Business Week (the one with the
CEO of Boeing Inc. on it) about this sort of thing. Of course it applauds
the idea that highly educated workers are coming into the workplace with
training from state-subsidized universities and technical colleges and
earning wages of around $9 an hour.

Kevin
Cols, Oh