A (Vexing) Revolution in Science

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 3 12:52:34 MDT 1996

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Louis R Godena wrote:

> By c1600 this merger of traditions was evident in the work of Bacon
> (1561-1626),  Galileo (1564-1642) and Gilbert (1544-1603).   In Zilsel's
> view,  the general characteristics of a scientific cosmology were produced
> through the hybridization of conceptual resources which is in turn
> ultimately attributable to capitalist socio-economic change.  Such a
> phenomenon failed to occur in China .

Louis P.: I highly recommend "Before European Hegemony, the World System
A.D. 1250-1350" by Janet Abu-Lughod for background. Heavily influenced by
Wallerstein and Braudel, she compares the Europe, China and Mideast of
those 100 years and the Europeans come off looking like a bunch of
underachievers.