On Needham and Chinese science

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Oct 4 10:52:50 MDT 1996

     I think that Louis Godena has somewhat misinterpreted
Joseph Needham's work on Chinese science and technology.
His books demonstrate that many inventions widely thought
to be of European origin were actually of Chinese origin.
The list is long and significant.  Chinese technological
progressiveness may have slowed down in the 1300s, but as
late as the early 1400s Korea was probably the world's
scientific and technological leader.  Taking a Braudelian
perspective there is a very long wave element to this
Europe-Asia oscillation in terms of
scientific-technological global leadership.  I don't have
any quick answers or explanations here.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley