Afghanistan and islamic reaction : Notes of a liquidator

Rolf Martens rolf.martens at mailbox.swipnet.se
Fri Oct 4 17:15:48 MDT 1996

Doug,

You wrote

>At 3:32 PM 10/4/96, Rolf Martens wrote:
>
>>Doug,
>>
>>You wrote:
>>
>>>if there was ever a country
>>>that deserved to be raped, it was Afghanistan.
>>
>>So *there* we have it, quite openly: The standpoint of the
>>superpowers, arch-enemies of the proletariat.
>>
>>Are there more countries you think should be raped by the
>>Russian new tsarists and/or the US imperialists?
>
>I didn't write that; I quote Alexander Cockburn saying that. I also said I
>wouldn't put it that way, but that the drift of the remark was true:

I admit I was a little imprecise in ascribing that remark directly
to you. Even so, quoting it with, in the main, sympathy, is pretty
thick. In my Info #16en, which has gone to Usenet and has been
posted here on this list too, I note "someone's" quoting the thing
with approval.

>Afghanistan was ruled by some truly horrible people, and the Afghan
>Communists and the Red Army were a civilizing force.

THAT'S why I asked you: What more countries do you think
are in need of SUCH "civilizing" actions by an imperialist
or social-imperialist superpower?

I don't approve of
>helicopter gunships mowing down civilians,

BUT that approving quote SAID precisely that you DID approve

>but throwing acid into the faces
>of unveiled women is pretty damn horrible too.
>
>Doug

So it is. But both Soviet social-imperialism and US imperialism
have argued in that manner to try to "justify" aggressions of
theirs many times.  And you *supported* that kind of reasoning.

I take what you now, later, wrote as a kind of half retraction of
your earlier statement. I'll not change my Info #16en anyway.
If it's any comfort to you, you're not named as the one
behind that statement in it.

And I accept your semi-retractment, if such is what you meant.

Please consider the really awful nature of your original
"thinking".

Rolf M.