IN DEFENCE OF ROBERTO CHIARA

Jj Plant jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat Oct 5 14:36:00 MDT 1996

Ah, the good old, 'Plant' jibe reappears after so long. Last time
that was used against me was by the odious Alex Mitchell of the WRP,
when I committed the heinous crime of winning over and recruiting
some of his members by the process of patient discussion. Strangely
similar response to Adolfo's in fact - police agent, MI6, defender of
the counterrevolution etc etc. My brother, whose name was abbreviated
to T Plant, naturally had a lot of incidents with the tedious old
jibe about our name.

Sadly, this stale old canard was the only original element in
Adolfo's post.

The fair-minded reader of this list will note that I attempted to
debate certain issues with Adolfo. One of these was the difference
between the armed strategy of PCP/SL which he defends, and the
communist strategy based on the proletariat. I presented some
documentary material in support of my position. Adolfo did not
respond with analysis and discussion, but with abuse and
unsubstantiated accusation.

On the question of Lenin calling for Stalin's removal, I made a
serious proposal to Adolfo that we assemble all the relevant
references so that the list could discuss them and arrive at properly
informed conclusions. This proposal was ignored with aristocratic
disdain.

The fair-minded readers of this list will be forced to the conclusion
that Adolfo's political positions are so weak that he cannot defend
them in communist debate.

But after all the bluster and accusation, there remains the fact that
Adolfo is on the public record

1       as supporting the murder of Chiara
2       as claiming with no supporting evidence whatever that the
murder was called for by the working class
3       when pressed, as admitting that he knows nothing of Chiara

This is an appalling position for anybody claiming to be a communist.
It throws doubt on the reliability of any material that Adolfo might
post to this list, or indeed anywhere else.

jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk