Bear's Skin

Vladimir Bilenkin "achekhov at unity.ncsu.edu" at ncsu.edu
Sat Oct 5 16:23:35 MDT 1996

> From owner-marxism  Sat Oct  5 17:03:28 1996
> Date: 05 Oct 96 17:01:54 EDT
> From: Jon Flanders <72763.2240 at compuserve.com>
> To: <lnp3 at columbia.edu>, <marxism at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU>
> Subject: Denunciations
> Sender: owner-marxism at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
>
>  >> Louis: This type of rhetoric is poison. If we allow this sort of thing to
> go in M-I, we will face an immediate crisis. Substitute "feminism" or "trade
> unionism" or "solidarity movements" for "nationalism" and you would get the
> same exact "thought" from "neil".
>
>  The left in 1996 has learned to evolve beyond this sort of stupidity, but
>  we are vulnerable to the intervention of 5 member "vanguards of the
> proletariat" on our mailing list. This stuff absolutely has to disappear
>  or else a space *must be created* in which it is prohibited. <<
>
>  Jon Flanders:
>
>   Isn't the Unity list such a space? Let me ask a question here about
> rhetoric.
>
>   What about Adolpho's political method? He, when fully cranked, is not shy
> about consigning his political opponents to PCP-SL hell as agents of MI6,
> organ grinder's monkeys etc. etc.
>
>   Now he may do this with a verve and literary style that makes us chuckle,
> but nonetheless I think it quite as problematic as Neil's denuniciamatos. It
> is not the method  I like, because I think it limits the debate to all but the
> happy flamers, but I doubt that Adolpho, at this stage in his life, will give
> it up.
>
>  Should we exclude Adolpho from the M-I list?
>
>   Frankly, I don't want to draw a line just yet until we see how a three post
> limit will work.
>
>   E-mail from: Jonathan E. Flanders, 05-Oct-1996

There is a Russian saying, in literal translation: "To divide the skin of a
bear that has yet not been killed." Something similar has been going on lately
in this list.  And I think it is a sign of profound weakness and insecurity on
the part of our bear hunters.

There are almost 300 hundred subscribers to this list. Many more use it without
subscription via any kind of Internet browser. How many of them will be willing
to submit to the whims of Proyect and Co, or to the presumably more benign control
of Flanders/Zeynep/Godena?  We'll see.

One thing is clear to me after weeks in M1 archive. Only "unmoderated" and
open for all marxist list will have the vitality and political sense worthy
of its name. Personally, I will stay only in such a list. And let others to
decide whether they want to be the bear's skin or not.

Vladimir Bilenkin