Statement to Tony Blair

Jon Flanders 72763.2240 at compuserve.com
Mon Oct 7 06:57:46 MDT 1996

Adam,

  Last night I watched a bit of Blair's speech to the Labour Party conference
on C-Span, followed by the Clinton-Dole debate, which I watched for a
half-hour or so.

  I was struck by the Reagan-Clintonesque image Blair projected. This is truly
an international phenomenon of the television age.

  Blow-dried Blair offered up sentimental anecdotes, platitudes and paens to
opponents in the grand Reagan tradition. We have come a long way in bourgeois
politics from the haggard image of Nixon in the 1960 debate with Kennedy.

  The irony of all this is, that as the ruling class has become more
sophisticated in their image-mongering, their audience ratings drop. There is
virtually no discussion up to now of the presidential campaign on my shop
floor. Unlike the situtation you describe in England, the rank and file expect
very little from another four years of Clinton. From the point of view of the
ruling class, this is one of his sucesses, I suppose.

 Jon Flanders

  E-mail from: Jonathan E. Flanders, 07-Oct-1996