The PCP-SL and the Peruvian Trotskyists

Jon Flanders 72763.2240 at compuserve.com
Mon Oct 7 21:16:52 MDT 1996

 >> Nope, but as I said months ago and I'll say again: I don't know what is
going on in Peru, and I won't take anyone's testimony as fact.

 Doug <<

 Jon Flanders:

  Amen. I have said it before as well, and say it again to both sides in this
dispute, simply posting things on the Internet, whether it is interviews with
Peruvian generals or letters from a particular tendency in Peru, do not
constitute proof of anything. The main thing that workers outside Peru can do
is to solidarize with the anti-imperialist struggle and try not to carry water
for the regime.

  Frankly, I have been dismayed by some of the things that have been said by
the disputants on Peru. I am specifically talking about endorsements of
actions about which one knows nothing, and the things that Vladimir raised in
his analysis. If I were the Peruvian working class I would do some serious
ear-boxing all round.

  Does anybody think that I could go to the workers that I know with this
stuff? They would think I was out of my mind.

  There is no substitute for living in the reality of a country. Maybe if we
had a working class international with some real authority, it could set up a
commission to go to the country, talk to the parties and issue a report that
would have some credibility.

  But we don't. And us poor benighted souls that subscribe to this list are no
substitute for something like that.

  E-mail from: Jonathan E. Flanders, 07-Oct-1996