The Sickness at the Heart of Marxism-Leninism?! OR Its Falsification?

Vladimir Bilenkin "achekhov at unity.ncsu.edu" at ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 9 06:57:46 MDT 1996

> Louis: Vladimir, I already returned the Deutscher to the library. Can you
> do the list a favor and supply the "several examples" alluded to below?
>
> On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Vladimir Bilenkin wrote:
>
> >       This led him to make pronoucements and to engage in a voluminous
> > correspondence which in themselves form a running commentary on the history
> > of these crucial years, a commentary rich in thought, sparkling with wit, and
> > often astonoshingly farsighted (Deutscher refers to Trotsky's _Five Years_).
> > But parts of the correspondence also reflect the tutelage. (Deutscher gives
> > several examples)...These, it is true, are extreme and exceptional instances.
> > He never hectored or cajoled his subordinates in the Commintern, as Zinoviev
> > and then Stalin did: and he always expected them to speak their mind.  He
> > still treated the Executive as a truly international body and acted on its
> > behalf from the general principles of communism and not from any peculiar
> > Russian angle. It was in this spirit that he used the wide powers which the
> > Twenty One Points had vested in the Executive.
> > <snip> .

	No way! A la guerre comme a la guerre. The "enemy" must be exhausted
by repeated trips to the library. And then why only Deutscher? Didn't I
use Vladimir Ilyich quite effectively? My ammunition is right at hand. All
55 "bricks" of his Complete Works. Actually, tonight I am going to translate
a delicious passage from his piece "On the Purge" (1921). Have a happy trip
to the library, Louis! You may even need to ask for a carrol. 55 volumes can
make a lot of trips.

Vladimir