Neanderthals

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Oct 11 13:30:57 MDT 1996

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Louis R Godena wrote:

> Could you be speaking of the Omo River Valley in southern Ethiopia?    This
> is,  I believe,  where the most complete Modern skull was uncovered some
> forty years ago by Richard Leakey.    Called "Omo I",  it is estimated to be
> 130,000 years old,   which substantially predates fossil Moderns from the
> Middle East.    This discovery significantly undermined the Candelabra
> (multi-regional) hypothesis of co-extensive development.

Louis P.: Speaking of Leakey, I have his latest book at home which deals
with the possibility of the extinction of homo sapiens. In a talk he gave
a few years back at the 92nd Street Y in NY, he made a case that just as
environmental factors brought an end to dinosaurs, so will they bring an
end to homo sapiens, unless change is forthcoming. This is the sort of
thing I am looking forward to discussing after we clean house.