Plain dealing, plain speaking, and the listfutures

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Oct 11 15:51:39 MDT 1996

     Gosh Lou, last week I was a moron and now I am even a
bigger schmuck than you thought I was.  And how big was
that, might I ask?  If you keep this up, I'll have to join
a Trotskyist sect and start accusing you of Menshevism.  In
the meantime, I suggest a nice cigar and some good port
after dinner..., :-).
     More seriously, a major problem on this list has been
too many people spending too much time on their egomaniacal
autobiographies.  That has certainly included both you and
malecki.  My view was that the way to deal with malecki was
to ignore him.  But you insisted on this investigative
vendetta that triggered his bombing us with gobs of his
pathetic alleged autobiography.  We have all had to suffer
through this drivel, which, as I suspected it would, showed
up that malecki was at least partly right about his life,
but also partly screwed up about it as well.  So what?
     As for what I was doing in the late 60s and early 70s,
yes, I was in grad school studying economics, but I was
also active in the antiwar movement.  No, I shall not join
the "I led the Lima 1963 Soviet" autobiography crowd on
this list other than to say that I had more than my share
of tear gas back then....
     To Bob, I must say that this latest bit where you are
suddenly coy about telling us details about your
indictments, relations with the FBI, etc. is really
annoying.  If you need to be so secretive about stuff, then
why the hell are you writing books and covering the
internet with all your personalistic crud?!?!?
     Let me contrast your behavior with the real Timothy
McVeighs of the antiwar movement, the New Year's Gang that
blew up the Army Math Research Center in Madison, Wisconsin
on August 24, 1970, using a truck full of fertilizer,
McVeigh's method.  An antiwar physics grad student was
killed and this bombing became a major blackeye and setback
to the antiwar movement.
      Nevertheless, when their leader, Karl Armstrong, was
captured in Canada, he turned his trial in 1973 into a
mitigation hearing with William Kunstler as the lead
attorney which became probably the biggest single trial
accusing the US government of crimes in Vietnam that took
place during the war in the US.  Karl had admitted his
guilt and served 7 1/2 years of a 23 year sentence.  Two of
his partners were later caught and served shorter
sentences, although Leo Burt has never been caught.  But
then he does not write ridiculous autobiographies and plead
for amnesty on the internet.
     As for Karl Armstrong, I know him personally, Bob, and
you are no Karl Armstrong.  In 1989 he stood before a large
group of people and publicly apologized to the antiwar
movement and to the survivors of the man he killed for the
mistakes he made . Today he is a mild mannered guy who runs
a fruit juice stand in Madison.  (A good source on all this
is _Rads_ by Tom Bates, Harper Collins, 1992, although it
contains some inaccuracies.  Even Ph.D. historians can make
errors sometimes)...:-).
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley