In Defense of the SWP/anti-war mov't

Robert Malecki malecki at algonet.se
Sun Oct 13 23:45:28 MDT 1996

>In Defense of the SWP perspectives during the anti-Vietnam War movement.
>
>Several people on this list, most notably North American Bob Maleki, now
>living in political exile in Sweden, have, in the most flippant ways,
>condemned the SWP and it anti-war initiatives.
>
>I have many criticism of the politics of the SWP, which I left after its
>sectarian attacks on the Workers World Party initiated anti-war
>demonstration of May 3, 1980 (I left for a large variety of reasons,
>too), most of which deal with what the Party could of done, IN ADDITION,
>to its fine work in mobilizing American people in defense of
>self-determination for the Vietnamese people.
>
>There are two issues, as I see it, around the anti-war movement. One was
>what was the issue confronting the people of the world during this war
>and the other was what to do about it.
>
>The SWP's position started from the viewpoint that the Vietnamese
>revolution was under attack by US imperialism. That defense of this
>revolution was paramount and the only way to accomplish the victory of
>the revolution in Vietnam was to end US intervention there.
>
>The only way to accomplish this, then, was to mobilize the largest
>number of people possible to make it difficult politically for the
>imperialists to carry out their aims unencumbered by opposition...as had
>happened to the equally brutal Korean War which enjoyed at least the
>passive support of the majority of the US working class at the time.
>
>To accomplish this aim the SWP initiated several united fronts, most
>notably the National Peace Action Coalition (NPAC) and the affiliated
>Student Mobilization Committee (SMC). The organizing slogan of the
>NPAC/SMC struck at the heart of US imperialist intervention: US Out Now!
>
>Opposition to this strategy came from two sources, one to the "left"  of
>the SWP and one to the "right" of the SWP. In the former camp was the
>People's Coalition for Peace & Justice (PCPJ), second to NPAC in size
>and support, and initiated by the Communist Party USA. PCPJ usually
>adopted as a slogan or organizing tool what ever the Vietnamese were
>raising at the time: "Negotiate Now!" then "Adopt the 10 point peace
>program" (of the NLF/PRG) "Adopt the 8 point peace program," etc.
>Slogans would change with the winds of international Stalinism. The PCPJ
>approach never really was able to appeal to most Americans and certainly
>didn't mobilize many people, at least in comparison the demands of NPAC:
>US Out Now! ... which was certainly more to the point.  Most of the big
>demonstrations in NY / Washington DC / San Francisco that united NPAC
>and PCPJ were under the slogans raised by NPAC, not PCPJ.
>
>On the left was a wide variety of critics of NPAC and the SWP. For the
>Maoists, this meant fighting with the police at every or many
>opportunities, raising the slogan "Victory to the Vietnamese" (a feel
>good slogan with no punch what-so-ever) and waving red or NLF flags at
> [...]

Dear David,

This is the most honest defense of the popular front politics of the SWP
that i have ever read. I really believe everyword you say that you mean it.
That is the problem.

The whole point being that the SWP was the leading force in the organising
of this popular front, thus leaving Trotskyism behind for reformist politics!

I on the other hand at the time thought that the European sections of the
USec in the International majority Tendency (IMT) were much futher to the
left then the SWP.

And on the International level the SWP line was a minority which hardly
anybody supported.

Finally anybody who wants to read about this period and the definite break
of the SWP with Trotskyism for reformism I suggest the phamplet "Stalinisn
and Trotskyism in Vietnam"..

BOB malecki