Unsub*scribe now!!!

Ignacio Domingo idomingo at encomix.es
Sun Oct 13 12:43:15 MDT 1996

  We waste our lights in vain, like lamps by day.
(William Shakespeare. Mercutio, in Romeo and Juliet, act 1, sc. 4, l. 45.)

                                UNSUB*SCRIBE NOW!!!!!
Dear Comrades,
        My name is Ignacio, and I am a member of the Spanish United Left
Party. I am the only member of the Party, in the small and poor region where
I live, who has access to a computer and to an Internet account, and
therefore I am in charge of transmitting to the comrades all the relevant
information that I may find in the net. Therefore, I have been sub*scribed to
this list for the past two weeks.
        I can find the words to describe what has been going on in this
list. I think some other comrades, such as Antonio Mota and others, have
expressed better than I can what I feel. At its best, this list has made
true what John Kenneth Galbraith one said: "It has been the acknowledged
right of every Marxist scholar to read into Marx the particular meaning that
he himself prefers and to treat all others with indignation."  (The Age of
Uncertainty, ch. 3). At its worst, there is nothing here but insults,
endless and useless debates on irrelevant topics, some moonies, and, saddest
of all, that kind of people who will ruin any assembly (what is this list
but an open assembly?) whenever they reach the microphone. Probably most of
us have a wide experience in assemblies and meetings of all kinds, and we
know how damaging these people can be and how necessary a moderating board is.
        Summing up, then, I am calling all of you to a general
unsubscription to this list. Let us hope that, in the near future, we find
another forum where we can talk to each other, find the information we need
for our common struggles, and, perhaps, debate.
        In the meantime, I suggest that we all send messages to the list,
stating our reasons for unsubscribing. This list is a disgrace to marxism,
and anyone tempted to know something about marxism and join it (I am
thinking particularly about young people) will get a picture of us that we
do not deserve. The sooner it ends, the better. Please, let us  make clear
that marxism (and marxists) is not this.
        I would like to thank all the comrades who have send valuable and
relevant contributions to this list. There is no need to give the names, we
all know them. I do not care if they are maoist, trotskysts or Stalinist.
They have tried to start debates, and they have given us some valuable
materials to discuss and think about. And, to all the people who have messed
up this list ...
                                FUCK YOU!!!!