In Defense of the SWP/anti-war mov't

Robert Malecki malecki at algonet.se
Tue Oct 15 01:42:55 MDT 1996

>Bob,
> a few things.
>First of all the pamphlet which you site "Stalinism and Trotskyism in
>Vietnam", published by the Sparts, is a good pamphlet but hardly deals
>with the anti-Vietnam war movement, but rather on the relationship
>between the mass Trotskyist movement vs. the Stalinist sell outs of the
>Vietnames revolution at the end of WWII. It is worthwhile for this alone.

I agree with you about the Vietnamese Trotskyists, however a good section of
the phamplet actually deals with the SWP and NPAC popular front politics. In
fact i will
put this in a letter or two later on today and send it to the list.

>You refer to the anit-War movment as "popular frontist" with out
>defining what a popular front is and how popular fronts, first and
>foremost, are electoral/governmental formations designed from the
>get-go to hold back the mass movement in general and prevent a workers
>siezure of power specifically. You offer no evidince that the anti-war
>movement fit this criteria. You don't state what the level of the class
>struggle was is the US at the time or what would of been NOT popular
>frontist to do at the time and who was doing it. But you don't. You
>just flippantly call the movement and the role of the SWP in it
>"popular frontist" hoping, perhaps, that the reader wold buy this
>simply because you're stating it as fact. Your wrong, IMO.

The above about the SWP and the popular front will be answered when i send
the material from the Spartacist phamplet.

>The Usec Majority wasn't anymore "left" than the Maoists were here.
>First of all, the position held by the SWP at the time and the slogans
>rasised were supported by close to 40% of the Usec membership, insofar
>as the old Leninist-Trotskyist Tendency (and later Faction) represented
>this perscentage of the Usec. At any rate, their position was "Victory
>to the Vietnamese" and "Support the NLF" and similar slogans. Of course
>the anti-war movement in Europe was from the point of view of Europeans
>looking at what the US imperialists were doing. Even so, their slogans
>failed to address the main enemy and what to do about it: US Out Now!
>was, IMO, the only REAL anti-imperialist slogan during the anti-war
>days of the 60s and 70s.

Actually they were to the left of the maoists at least here in Sweden. But
Hugh takes up the Usec and the anti war movement in  Europe in his letter
and I want to address it there.

Bob Malecki

http://www.kmf.org/malecki/

Read the book! Ha Ha Ha McNamara,
Vietnam-My Bellybutton is my Crystalball!

COCKROACH, a zine for poor and workingclass people
NOW ON LINE