"Delete the Brainwash Paragraph!" (MFK, se, '95)

Rolf Martens rolf.martens at mailbox.swipnet.se
Sun Sep 1 03:43:19 MDT 1996

[The below was posted by me to newsgroups in mid-Feb. - RM]

I'm posting here a statement by the 1995 annual meeting of our=20
association Miljoevaenner Foer Kaernkraft (MFK), Sweden,
which IMO merits attention also internationally. For address,
homepages etc of this organization, see end of this article.

                           *STATEMENT*

by the Annual Meeting of Environmentalists For Nuclear Power=20
(Sweden) in Lund on March 25, 1995

     The association Environmentalists For Nuclear Power on the=20
occasion of its annual meeting, on this day, with the below statement=20
protests against and demands the abolition of the first line of =A7 5a=20
and the entire  =A7 6 of the Law Concerning Nuclear Technology.

          *DELETE THE "BRAINWASH PARAGRAPH"!*

     For a long time past, Western culture has been inseparably=20
connected to the idea of freedom of thought. This has not always=20
been a self-evident thing, though the quarters of resistance to it=20
have varied. In ancient times it was above all religion that played=20
this less glorious role, and in this connection the experience of=20
Galilei is well known.=20

     The age of Enlightenment brought great progress, not least=20
as to combat against various forms of superstition. We limit ourselves=20
to mentioning the witch-trials which were finally stopped, above all=20
thanks to the efforts of Urban Hjaerne. After the great material=20
progress during the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th=20
century, it was thought that phenomena of this kind were extinct for=20
all future. We here disregard those rather harmless predictions of the=20
astrologists which are well-known from weeklies and tabloid papers.=20

     However, new fields of force were established, above all within=20
certain political creeds. The best- known is the Soviet geneticist=20
Lysenko, who for several decades ruled supreme within this science.=20
As is well known, he championed the teaching, appealing to the=20
political leaders, that acquired qualities could be inherited, and=20
researchers who did not accept this dogma were effectively barred from=20
continued work. Swedish geneticists played an honourable role when they=20
forcefully combated this superstition which put up unsurmountable=20
barriers to serious Soviet genetics.

     We now come to the main point of this statement. In the year 1984,=20
the Riksdag (Swedish parliament) established a new law whose =A7 5a=20
has a first line reading, simply: "Permission to build a nuclear power=20
reactor must not be given". In the year 1987, on the proposal of the=20
minister of energy, the =A7 6 was added: "No one is allowed to draw up=20
construction designs, calculate costs, order equipment or take such=20
other preparatory measures in order within this country to build a=20
nuclear power reactor" - known as the "Brainwash Paragraph".=20

     As sole country in the world, Sweden has criminalized a certain=20
type of research, probably in order to satisfy a vociferous but more=20
and more shrinking body of opinion. This is nothing less than an=20
international scandal! We hold that Sweden must live up to the image=20
of a country of culture, and that all official superstition must be=20
combated. We consider it a point of honour by all means at our=20
disposal to defend freedom of research!

Lund 1995-03-25

Annual Meeting of Miljoevaenner Foer Kaernkraft (MFK,=20
Environmentalists For Nuclear Power)

Indrek Martinson			=09
Chairman			=09
Professor of Physics=09

Carl-Erik Froeberg
Member of Steering Committee
Professor Em.of Numerical Analysis

Translation from the Swedish by RM, March '95

MFK (Environmentalists For Nuclear Power):=20
Address:=20
Box 83
S - 430 24 Vaeroebacka
Sweden

Tel: +46 - 340 - 78290, +46 - 433 - 25015 =20
Tel Internet matters: +46 - 46 - 730271=20
Fax: +46 - 46 - 730272                       =20
Postal cheque account (Postgiro): 1 33 74 - 4

E-mail address: mfk at sbbs.se

Home pages:

http://www.sbbs.se/com/home/dambo/
http://www.sbbs.se/com/home/dambo/mfk.html
http://www.sbbs.se/com/home/dambo/esidan.html

[So far the statement of the MFK on 25.03.1995=20
with some added notes.]