Is Spoons an area of serious struggle? If so, let's be serious.

malgosia askanas ma at panix.com
Sun Sep 1 08:22:11 MDT 1996

Ang wrote:

> So, once again, I call for the 12 Spooners to give us the incredible gift
> of letting only the list participants control this space while continuing
> their wonderful voluntary technical commitment to it's smooth technical
> running!

Who is this "us" on whom we are asked to bestow this incredible gift?
Does it include people who no longer find the list viable?  People who used
to contribute to the list but had to leave because they no longer found
the list viable?  People who cannot deal with the list because "control"
of the space gets exercised, most frequently, through shouting, repetition,
intimidation, and deafness to other voices?

We don't just have a "wonderful voluntary technical commitment" to our lists.
We create them with a certain purpose in mind.  We want to open up certain
kinds of spaces, and we have no commitment -- technical or otherwise -- to
supporting lists that we don't see as working in the spirit of this
"opening"; lists that develop the kinds of "controls" that, in effect, shut
out people who neither want to shout nor grapple with the constant shouting
of others.

But, irrespective of this and as has been repeated ad nauseam, the rebuilt
marxism list-set will include an unmoderated list, marxism-general.  Have you
been reading these announcements?  If so, why still these calls to gift-giving?
In any case, the plan to have an unmoderated list has been proclaimed more
than enough, and this is the last time I'll say it.

-m