Jesus, Engels and the fact-value distinction

Robert Malecki malecki at algonet.se
Thu Sep 5 01:27:19 MDT 1996

>I apologize for butting into this discussion at this late stage.
>There is one theme which was present in some of the earlier
>contributions to the religion thread, which I could no longer discern
>recently.  I would like to formulate this theme in the following
>theses:
>
>(1) The fact-value distinction which we all are taught is a
>prerequisite of science is wrong, wrong, wrong!  Value is not always
>merely something which we carry to the world from the outside, but the
>world itself is value-laden.
>
>(2) Marx got it wrong too.  He saw morality only as an instrument of
>oppression (which it usually is) but did not explicitly acknowledge
>the true kernel of it, i.e., the values embedded in the world.
>
>(3) People sense that science, in its modern incarnation, is lacking
>something and turn to religion to find what is lacking.  There is
>a secret complicity between the value-less shallow realism of
>science and the irrealist values promoted by religion.
>
>(4) In addition to criticizing religion for its irrealism we must
>therefore also criticize science for its failure to see that values
>are objective and real.
>

>This is not something I figured out by myself but I learned
>it from reading Bhaskar.
>
>Hans E.

Try S. Rustie, his perspective is a lot more funny.

bob Malecki

--------------
<http://www.ios.com/~dizzyman/haha/>
Read the book! Ha Ha Ha McNamara,Vietnam-My Bellybutton is my
Cristalball.
-------
Banned from the "Unity" list at Jefferson Village For
being a "Trotskyist" and a "philthy lumpen" background,
who today lives with his "pigs and donkeys" in exile-where he ran away
during the Vietnam War.

According to  the Moderater of the "Unity" list at
Jefferson village!