A quote a day keeps the metaphysicians away

Adam Rose adam at pmel.com
Mon Sep 9 08:00:40 MDT 1996

>From Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy,
by Engels.

( p40,41 in my copy, courtesy of the Chinese so called Communist Party ).

"We comprehended the ideas in our heads materialistically again - as
reflections of real things instead of regarding the real things as
reflections of this or that stage of the absolute idea. Thus dialectics
was reduced to the science of the general laws of motion, both of the
external world and of human thought - two sets of laws which are
identical in substance, but differ in their expression insofar as the
human mind can apply them consciously, while in nature and also for that
matter for the most part in human history, these laws assert themselves
unconsciously, in the form of external necessity, in the midst of an
endless series of seeming contingencies. In this way, the dialectic
of ideas itself became merely the conscious reflex of the real world
and thus Hegel's dialectic was put on its head, or rather, from its head,
on which it was standing, it was put on its feet".

More tommorrow,
Adam.

Adam Rose
SWP