Louis G and the new moderated list

Hugh Rodwell m-14970 at mailbox.swipnet.se
Wed Sep 11 17:33:17 MDT 1996

Louis G writes:

>Amen,  Louis.    I would further urge those who enter the moderated list to
>do so,  not as "believers" in a particular line,  sect,  party,  or
>"leader",  but as part of a great movement embracing people of many
>beliefs--both Marxist and non-Marxist--whose great goal is the emancipation
>of humanity from the throes of exploitation and injustice in all its complex
>and nefarious forms.

Sceptics of the world, unite? You have nothing to lose but your brains?

But perhaps I'm being unfair.

Louis, please explain the force of the quotation marks around "believers"
and how such "believers" are different from "people convinced of the
validity of" some line or party. Just what is *wrong* with conviction?

I mean, if anyone on the list is a fervent evangelist and true "believer"
in their particular line, Louis P is. It's fascinating to watch the old
fella in action, working up a new head of steam each day over the
"Trotskyites" and "bad spellers" of the world. The Old Faithful of the
list. Never tired of spouting the same old stuff... He ought to get a
recycling award.

Now just how would he fit in to this 'great movement embracing people of
many beliefs--both Marxist and non-Marxist--whose great goal is the
emancipation of humanity'? He didn't even cut it on the arch-Menshevik
unity-list, but unsubbed himself after a marvellous but rather short-lived
display of bile and venom -- a bit like Rumpelstiltskin stamping his right
foot into the floor, grabbing his left foot and tearing himself in two in
his rage at the princess getting his number.

Cheers,

Hugh

PS Just out of curiosity, how do you think Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin and
Mao would shape up on the "believer" criterion?

Do you count yourself as a "believer"?

Sorry the Louis P levels are a bit high in this posting. I'll get back to a
more congenial mode of discussion later regarding your remarks on Stalinism
as a historical phenomena in less-developed countries.