FW: Re:Joint statement on Iraq (fwd)

Spoon Collective spoons at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Sun Sep 15 14:01:31 MDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 96 15:45:02 PDT
From: PO <global at uk.pi.net>
To: marxism-news at jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Subject: FW: Re:Joint statement on Iraq=20

---------------Original Message---------------
At 17:27 14-09-96 +0200, Robert Malecki wrote:

>However the second critisism is far more serious. Because the thing about=
=20

>the jewish workers is fundementally politically wrong as it stands. Unless=
=20

>you can come up with a better formulation it can not be supported by=20

>Bolshevik-Leninists.

>>"we recognise the importance of breaking the Israeli=20

>>>Jewish working class from its Labour Zionist leadership as an important=
=20

>>>element in this aim."

>I suggest something along these lines.

>We recognize the importance of breaking the Israeli,Jewish working class=
=20

>from its

>reformist and Zionist misleaders who use Israeli Nationalism and anti-Arab=
=20

>propaganda in order to devide and rule. Just as Arab Nationalists use=20

>anti-Israeli propaganda in order to do the same thing. The fundemental=20

>position of Bolshevik-Leninists in the Middle East must be "Not Arab Again=
st=20

>Jew,But Class Against Class!"=20

Excuse me that I interfer - but I don't agree with you on this, Robert. I t=
hink it is too simple to just say "class against class" when we talk about =
Palestinian right to self-determination. The problem is that it underplays =
the role of imperialism in the creation and upholding of the Israeli stat
e.

I would not reject the *possibility* that Israeli workers could be won for =
revolution. But as with white South African workers under apartheid the cha=
nces are very small that it will really happen. The problem is that zionism=
 and material privilegees are tying these workers very close to the Israe
li state. Much closer than elsewhere.

>We also recognize that the Israeli,s have a right to self-determination

>and land to live and thrive on,just as the Kurds or Palestineans should ha=
ve=20

>this right.

I don't think that's the same. Marxists should fight for the right to self-=
determination for *oppressed* countries - not any country. That does not me=
an that I think the Israelis should be thrown into the Mediterannian, but I=
 think that as long as the Israeli state exists it will be an imperialist
 watch-dog. I think we should stick to the slogan of a secular state, which=
 used to have a broad support amongst the Palestinians.

>Naturally for Bolshevk- Leninists the ultimate goal must be that=20

>of a United

>Arab and Jewish Proletariat which fight under its own banner for a Sociali=
st=20

>Federation of States in the Middle East under the Dictatorship of the=20

>Proletariat.

Agreed on this one :-)=20

J=F8rn Andersen

Hedebygade 17, 2. tv.