Muddled Thinking on Korea, Iraq, Vietnam

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 15 16:31:19 MDT 1996

At 11:32 AM 9/15/96, rakesh bhandari wrote:

>That is, why does the American public seem so unable to
>differentiate between predatory Arab potentates and the people of the Arab
>world? Or why do Americans tend to imagine the Arab masses as only
>terrorists? The effect in both cases is a racist absence of concern for the
>Arab people and a frightening unwillingness to do anything which suggests
>solidarity with the Arab masses whom have subjected to US economic and
>military terrorism.

For a country that consists of people gathered from all over the world, and
their descendants, this is a remarkably provincial place. Most U.S.'ians
haven't the slightest clue about their neighbors, Canada and Mexico, beyond
cliches like Canada's big and cold and full of snow and Mexico is crowded
and warm and full of brownish people. Fewer than 5% of the U.S. public,
according to a poll I saw a while back, can name either the President of
Mexico or the PM of Canada. I think the repellent demonization of Arabs in
the U.S. has to be seen in this context.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer