Reply to: Re: Hard core/soft core

Jon Flanders 72763.2240 at compuserve.com
Sun Sep 15 21:19:15 MDT 1996

Gary writes re Hugh Rodwell.

 >> Now I have always thought you to be an arrogant prig.  But strangely you
are and have been displaying such an excess of arrogance that I find myself
actually looking forward to your posts.  Maybe again the interpenetration of
opposites. <<Gary M.

 Jon Flanders:

  I think part of the clue to Hugh's inimitable style lies in his profession
as a school master. I always think of him grading the list with a big "Red"
pencil. He pounces on a mistake and thunders...

  "Substantiate!"

  Makes me cringe for the poor bloke under the master's gaze. He'll probably
get a C+ and never get into Harvard.

  Like you, I look forward to many of his posts. Its really over the top
stuff. I just have to let things like "Fidel Castro is an
counter-revolutionary" go by the way I let Louis P's more outrageous
statement's go. I just don't have the time at this stage in my life.

  Both Hugh and Louis P, in their interpenetrating ways have made important
contributions to this list. My personal wish is that they knock off throwing
beer mugs at each other's heads and give us more evidence of the intelligence
that informs their best work.

  Of course "if wishes were horses then beggars would ride," or some such
unlikely outcome.

  E-mail from: Jonathan E. Flanders, 15-Sep-1996