Muddled Thinking on Korea, Iraq,

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Thu Sep 19 06:07:46 MDT 1996

Jon Flanders:

>  I do, however, sense in your argument a certain downplaying of the role of
>the anti-war movement, based on the level of consciousness question. This I
>don't agree with at all. If you are not careful, you end up either advocating
>some kind of ultra-left "anti-imperialism", that has no chance of reaching the
>broad mass of the people, around the Iraq crisis, for example, or you simply
>give up trying to mobilize opposition at all, because the workers are "not
>ready...

Louis Godena:

I think that the impact of the antiwar movement served chiefly to make life
safer for a rising generation of bourgeois youth,  and also helped
"normalize" America's neo-colonial rule in the third world.    The short
term (and therefore debilitating) perspective of "democracy" were ill-suited
for the type of long term colonial administrative experience which
characterized much of the British,  French,  and Portuguese tradition.
Our initial involvement in Vietnam was based on the French model.   It
proved untenable.    American politics,  our rulers discovered,  was more
diffuse,  impenetrable,  and chaotic than that normally required to pursue a
consistent and effective foreign neo-colonial policy.     American public
opposition to the "Vietnam quagmire" indicated,  clearly,   that a new model
would have to be adopted that could  "adjust" to American traditions and
political realities.

In this,  we were quite successful.