Deformed or degenerated ?

Jj Plant jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 15:23:00 MDT 1996

> First, Trotsky, of course, predicted that the "DEFORMED" workers state had
> intermediate nature, and eventually would become either the workers
> state or that of the bourgeoisie....

As I understand it, Trotsky wrote about the DEGENERATED workers state,
referring to the SU. (Please let me know if you have a reference that proves me
wrong, it would be very useful at this moment.) The idea of deformed workers
states was produced by the post war FI (after some years of hesitation) to
refer to the East European states that had become part of the Soviet sphere of
influence, where capitalism had (allegedly) been overthrown but not by a
process of workers' revolution.

jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk