Muddled Thinking on Korea, Iraq,

Robert Perrone perrone1 at igc.apc.org
Fri Sep 20 02:50:02 MDT 1996

I think we need to be careful of over-generalizing about how the
working class "as a whole" may have felt about, or been influenced by
the student led anti-Viet Nam war movement. At what point does the opposition
of a sector of the working class reflect the class "as a whole?"

Let's take, for example, the August 29, 1970 Chicano Moratorium, an
anti-war march in East Los Angeles that saw over 25,000 people (yours
truly included), overwhelmingly working class, mainly non-college
student, mainly non-white, march down the main street of ELA. Yes,
there were representatives of embryonic sects that would eventually
multiply like so many pod people. But I felt then, as I still do, that
the participants were mobilized by a deep rooted opposition to the war.
Even people who were not participants in the march, those who stood on the
sidewalk to watch, who came out of the beauty salons, the taquerias,
the auto body shops, the tortillerias, along the route, people in
their homes who gave shelter to victims of the subsequent police riot,
I believe all these working class people, "as a whole", were expressing their
opposition to the war.

What does that count for in an analysis that would judge that the
working class "as a whole" was not influenced by the anti-war
movement, or that the movement had "failed to appeal" to the working
class?

Robert Perrone