biotechnology

Russell Pearson spectres at innotts.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 19:20:09 MDT 1996

Rakesh raises some interesting point about biotechnology.
One of the things that puzzles me is the copy-writing/patenting of genes.=

Once a researcher has identified a particular gene (such as the one that =
'causes' breast cancer), they have the right to patent it.  The gene is =
not altered but discovered, and  the discoverer then holds the rights to =
all future work on that gene. This seems absurd to me. Even by the most =
perverse logic of commodity fetishism it appears to be a rip-off!
Are there any other legal equivalents in property law?

Russell