No subject

mira peace at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 20 16:49:45 MDT 1996

 PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC PARTY
No. 049/c/Sta/PRD/VIII/1996

                    PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND ITS
                              STANDPOINTS
                      SURROUNDING THE 27 JULY 1996
                               TURBULANCE

All development of post 27 July 1996 unrest prove how power moral,
political ethics, tolerance and respect for humanity, for civilisation,
and for peace, are faded away from the socio-political economy and
cultural life. Natio-fellows are stabbing and deceiving each other.
Nation-fellows claim holding the truth, whom finally consider power as
the only truth.

Such an insane condition need somewhat correction, introspection, and
good will, wisdom and care-taking of country fellow, all groups,
allorganisations, without any superiority stand in terms of truth and
power. Law and people's souvereignity should be uphold according to
human, justice, civilised and ethic norms, moreover when it refers to
those who are in power. Therefore it is necessary for us to dig up the
foundation of the nation, of the 1945 Constitution and statements given
by our founding-fathers, as far as the 27 July 1996 unrest is concerned.
As we consider:

I   The preamble of 1945 Constitution states that the state's objection
is to "protect the whole Indonesia with regard to the nation-hood and
its territory, to improve people's well-being, to educate the people and
participate actively the world order based on the independance, peace
and social justice.

II   Explanation on the 1945 Constitution about state-system says, "1.
The Indonesian state is based on the rule of law (rechtstaat), and not
merely on the power (machtstaat); 2. The government is formed on the
basis of constitution, which does not hold the absolutism (the unlimited
power),"

III As has been stated by the founding father and independence
proclamator, Ir. Soekarno in a speech regarding the birth of Pancasila
(1June 1945): Indanesian state is not a state of a particular person, of
a group, eventhough it relates to the have. We establish the state for
all, one for all, and all for one."

We put into account that, different clear views, which are not
emotional, pursued by socio-political figures, retired members of
Indonesian Armed-Forces and intellectuals as follows:

PRD supports fully the summons given by the legal Chairperson of Central
Board of PDI, mrs. Megawati Sukarnoputri that, "Based on the facts dig
up from the field, the attakt is initiated by those who claim themselves
as supporters of "Congress". Thus, one who should take the
responsibility is mr. Soerjadi, who clearly was not able to lead and
organise the members sothat they conduct accordings to the law."

Megawati also says, "As the problematic surrounding the PDI already
became a national one, I call the board of the Parliament and the People
Congress (DPR/MPR) and the members can hold the attitude and actions
expressing statemanship, who can put the interest of the nation above
individual and personal one".

PRD supports the statement by Abdurachman Wahid (President of the
Central Board of NU) who wishes "all shall not make the PRD problem as a
political issue ... the case should be considered as a legal one and
should take therefore legal procedure for its solution."  According to
him, the development of PRD "Has been over exploited. Some have even
judged before bringing it before the court. I will not be prejudiced. I
expect only that it must be proven first before bringing the acusation
to the public, in orde to avoid the slander which brings about confusion
and creates new problem."  (Jawa Pos, 5 August 1996).

PRD supports the statement given by retired general Abdul Haris Nasution
whom, apart from the destructive actions, shares the opinion of Mochtar
Pabotinggi in viewing the younger generation. "The political system is
threatened to be destroyed by means of a double influences. Firstly, the
New Order refuses political reform. Secondly, there are restrictions
with regard to political dynamism."  He also warns as follows, "To the
coming generations, either military or civilian, they should be allert.
Each should hold the self-confidence and should not be provocated by
political avonturists whom are trying to catch fishes in the disturbing
water."  Nasution, the co-founder of the New Order also warns the
Indonesian Armed-Forces, ABRI, "The non-ABRI younger generaions should
understand the position of the ABRI younger generations. They are the
inheritence of those who were in the beginning of the New Order used to
enginere making a killing ground, which arouse distrust feelings among
the younger generations."  (Republika, 5 August 1996).

PRD supports also the statement made by the retired general Rudini whom
says, "So long there are evidence, do not acuse it as PKI, because it
may bring the situation become more critical. Meanwhile, those pro-
democracy groups who still hold the Pancasila spirit, should not be
worried with the statement launched by the government.

Let the latter know what they at the moment really are busy with, which
are actually only conditions needed by a process of democratisation. In
this way, it would be better to find out the point of agreement in term
of view, rather than blaming each other." (Tiras, no.28/THN.II/8 August
1996). PRD agrees with the opinion of Dr. Muchtar Pakpahan, President of
SBSI who says, "One should not see the unrest as an isolated case, it is
in fact a culminated explotion of a recent socio-pathological
accumulation." (Merdeka, 1 August 1996).

PRD also supports the statement by the Democratic Forum whom "condemn
and strongly protest the violent measures used for political mean based
on desire to be superior while maintaining the power regardless moral
values and peacefull and civilised political ethics, nor democratic
principles and the fundamental law in statehood." (27 July 1996)

PRD is in line with the view of Arbi Sanit, an intellectual, whom says,
"Radicalisation grows as the consequence of the development, in terms of
social change, education and information traffic improvement, which put
them as a whole, will bring about aspirations. This include among others
the problem of democracy, reformation, equation, justice, or legal
system. These aspirations go hand in hand with the result of the
development. And this should be virtually responded in a positive sense
and needed to be put in a political system within certain elements of
the system.... Thus the radicalisation reflects an implication of an
improper system in terms of adaptation to all changes taking place in
society shaped by the development." (Republika, 5 August 1996).

By considering and put into account all state philosophical grounds and
all the above desribed views, PRD summons to all PRD's cadres and its
mass organisations, cadres and symphatisers of Megawati, those who are
in power, and all people in Indonesia, to understand:

01.  That the main problem for Indonesian people is poverty which has no
clear and certain way out. Poverty of Indonesian people as experienced
by workers, peasants, and urban poor, is in reality not been anticipated
seriously by those in power. Indonesian economy is being sunk away
within the olygarchic circle of real economy and real politics which is
forgotten of its cause and origins of its welfare, of which millions
Indonesian people are supporting through sacrifices and labour power.

02.  It is social inequality, wealth accumulation by government
officials, collusions, curruptions, and the luxirious life-style of
government officials and their families, court depraving the sense of
justice, which lead to people's discontentness. Bacause there is no
channal for their aspirations; because of the sloganistic answers by the
ruler; because of the insensitivity of the government towards people's
demands; because of the fading away of the sense of people; because of
the decaying morals of government officials; a time-bomb has been
prepared not by agitators, nor by pro-democratic movements, nor by
Megawati's supporters, but exactly by the poverty and misery of the
people, which is produced by the development itself.

03.  Meanwhile, the uncertainties and unclear solutions led the way how
PDI under the leadership of Megawati Sukarnoputri to get great sympathy
of millions of people, whom are dirsty for justice, whose aspirations
are hungry from having been listened, whom expect of having solutions
for their daily problems, and whom are longing for the openness and
political reformation for channelising people's burden, whom are at the
moment confusing and find no place to complaint. Holding the leadership
in the PDI, Megawati Sukarnoputri express gentleness of a mother, wisdom
of a statewoman. Without any desire and personal ambition, she is
struggling together with the people for people's souvereignty and brings
the party as a party of the poor. It is this love and sincerity she gets
>from the people, which others cannot bribe or persuade with functions
and positions.

04.  The growing sympathy of the people for PDI under the leadership of
Megawati Sukarnoputri led the rulers become more and more unpopular
amongst the people. The power is not afraid of the PDI followers which
is small and armedless; nor afraid of Megawati who is the daughter of
Sukarno. The power only afraid of the fact that people already know
about the behaviour of rulers which is far away  from truth; about their
activities which are strengthening the status quo; about corrupted daily
practices of rulers; also about the feeling which is fading away from a
just and secured conditions. Actually the sense of justice, truth,
peace, wisdom is staying by Megawati. This is why the power holder is
afraid and is in a rage.

05.  That people's participation in power controle is essential in
democracy, and is the substance of Pancasilla and the 1945 Constitution.
That is why it will be legitimised and is the right for anyone,
according to equal principles, to take part, to give input, his/her
voice, his/her ciritc to the power holder without any feeling of being
descriminised, marginalised; of being isolated with respect to other
groups or certain categories.

06.  That the active participation dynamism of the people in the
practical politics is an improvement in spiritual term; is a positive
development; is a creation of the development itself. One should
appreciate, protect, guide, channalise such a development as it ought to
be, rather than to oppress, to frighten, to intimidate or to maltreat
physically through mobilising para-military and violent measures. A
clever and wise ruler, a ruler whom acts constitutionally, should not
fear or insult people's capacity of being critical, by using using
stigma's such as PKI, subversions, left wing extremism, right wing
extremism, liberal, bald satans, neo-communists etc.

07.  That all black propaganda's about PRD and MARI, and other
democratic organisations by verdicting through anti-subversion law and
"communist marks" are decreasing, is a staganation in term of
civilisation. It is a narrow minded attitude, an emotional statement, a
view which tear the nation, an attitude which listens only to the
ruler's voice and leaving the principle of councelling and also the
image of our nation as being flexible and tolerant to each other. Such
methods are creating only worryness, fear, fragmentation and supect to
each other to nation-fellow.

08.  That the Democratic People's Party, with clarity and positive
thinking, wants to pursue a consturction for a nation and state
building, for solution of problems confronted by Indonesian society,
based on the ideal by the establishment of RI namely "to improve the
welfare, and educate the people".  And we should agree that there is no
ideal and perfect government. That is why the process towards progress
and the people's education should be able to accept input and new
methods without any apriory nor negative thinking.

09.  That plurality in politics is being guaranteed by the article 28 of
the 1945 Constitution, by means of which PRD feel being legitimised as
it finds its base in the constitution. All measures intending to destroy
PRD through any means such as propaganda and "communist" making, is
expressing an attitude which is in a rage and does not give any way out
in political development of the nation. With political pluralism, there
will not be an attempt leading to fear or suspect to each other, if all
hold the modern human political moral and ethics. Politics is not merely
the victory of majority upon minority. Politics is somewhat an attempt
to create an effective but expressing general interests through state
machienary. Such interests include also that of all groups and
categories. Politics is a "forum of councelling" for pursuing ideas and
plans in order to implement the mandate and ideals of the independence
namely to create a just and prosper society.

10.  That PRD needs to explain that the present mass organisations
affiliated to PRD at sectoral levels are meant to empower people, so
that they are self-reliance and are capable to solve their own problems.
So far the existing formal organisations cannot absorb aspirations
caming from workers, peasants, urban poor, artists and students as the
former are monopolised by the government. By the establishment of
sectoral mass organisations aspirations of any segment in the society
can be channalised. Through such sectoral organisations, one can
understands all social problems sharperly, more anallytical, and
scientific. Thus such form of participation can extremely be helpful to
avoid anarchism and frustration in different social sectors. It is the
government indeed which should feel gratitude as the bureaucracy and
opportunism of the environment of government's mass organisations with
its feudal character, "as the boss like it attitude", which stay away
>from the mass people whom they should serve, can be highlighted, in such
a way that one can see the root of the problem so that one can
understand more deeply about the problem taking place in society.

The establishment of an independent sectoral organisation outside SPSI,
HKTI, or KNPI can actually in a positive way motivate government's mass
organisation to work, which is used to be so bureaucratic and not-
aspirative in relations to problems which exist amongst the people. The
intention and its objective are in fact to build an Indonesian society
which just and prosper, but also which dare to fight for its rights.
This is something which does not fix into the emotional propaganda by
the government which marks and points to the PRD as similar to PKI.  Was
it not that the New Order ruler whom teach the skill to organise all
societal sectors such as SPSI, KNPI, HKTI, PWI, Kowani etc. And this
does not mean that New Order is neo-communist, for sectoral
organisations are meaningful for professional reason, so that they are
competent to come up with solution and solve the problem according to
the roots of the problem as it develops in each societal sector. Here
one should warn the government sothat it would not just sow slander
every where.

11.  That PRI is active in undermining the state and uses violence to
meet its end. If the government is accurate and understand it
scientifically, there is no single article nor strategy adopted by PRD
for using violence as methods. Quite the opposite, PRD is in fact in any
peaceful action by using posters and banners, frequently attacked with
club and detened by the military. Consciously PRD avoids the use of
violence, because PRD considers it as a primitive method in seeking for
the problem solving. Since government apparatus is used to such violent
methods, its image and hence authority will be declining in front of the
people.

Through its actions, PRD does not afford violence, but prepares to bring
message and proposals concerning the reformation of the existing
political mechanism such as the packet of 5 Plitical Laws and the double
function of ABRI. Both are historical products which should be adjusted
to recent developments in society. Was it not that mass mobilisation in
1966 also done by the New Order rulers for putting Pancasila and the
1945 Constitution right  in terms of purity and consistency.

12.  That national dan social development following democratic norms and
social justice principles should be demonstrated by the rulers
themselves. The people will obey and show their obediene if government
authority is able to seek for solution of their problems. The people
does not need any bombastic slogan, nor luxurious skyscrabbers, nor
gigantic scultures: THE PEOPLE NEEDS TO BE LISTNED TO and to be
protected patiently, without force, terror, intimidation and the violent
and primitive practices. Hopefully, we will not repeat nor create spaces
in the future for cruelty and rough manner expressing low degrees and
character of our human sense as found in politics and ways of running
the country. This means clearly that we need a cool head and rationality
to face, instead of merely issueing instructions for arrest, bringing
before the court, and put into jail our nation-fellow who hold different
opinion, different ways of doing things and expressing aspirations and
proposals for improving the people whom are at the moment deeply wounded
and need our togetherness for recovery. With a good will and keep away
>from feeling superiority in terms of truth and authority, the country is
ready to ensure the reach of independence ideals for "bringing
Indonesian people to the gate of Indonesian state souvereignty, which is
free, unified, independent, just and prosper..."

This is what the Democratic People's Party need to explain and to
express our standpoints in connection with the development surrounding
the post July 27, 1996 turbulance. It is our hope that this good will by
giving input for pursuing progress of the country can bring us to an
awareness for considering importance the following matters such as
taking care the difference through mutual understanding, and creating
modern society which is rational, just and respectful for humanity.

                       For resistance and reform:
    for a minimum wage of Rp. 7000, for lower prices, for a properly
                    monitored general election, for a
 New Party, for a New President, for a Referendum of the Maubere People.

                                                   Jakarta, 9 August 1996

                                                       Budiman Sudjatmiko
                                                              Chairperson

Coordinationgroup for Solidarity to the Peoples Resistance in Indonesia
HTTP://www.xs4all.nl/~peace
Email: peace at xs4all.nl