Quick Conversions

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 23 13:02:16 MDT 1996

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Jorn Andersen wrote:

> I don't think Malecki is a cop. He may be a pain-in-the-ass, a waste of
> bandwidth or whatever, but I think you will get a hard time proving that he
> is something like a cop. My advice to you - if you can't come up with hard
> evidence *very* soon - is: Back off, give an apology and hope for a short
> time memory of list members.

Louis: No, sorry. I plan to keep at this for a while longer. First of all,
there is no such thing as hard evidence in cases like this. There never
is. All you can do is work on the basis of political calculations.

It is one thing to avoid sniffing out police agents in your own group. We
know that the FBI is fond of putting snitch-jackets on members of left
groups.

Here we are dealing with another problem. We are being asked to judge
somebody who takes the trouble to create an elaborate past life as a
prisoner of conscience or some such thing.

Then he uses that reputation to turn a Marxist mailing list upside down.
Now he is worked up over the left-unity list. I am convinced that the idea
of left-unity across borders is something that has powerful people
frightened.

Parties make political calculations like this all the time. In the United
States, left parties have no trouble identifying the Workers League and
the New Alliance Party, or the Larouche Labor Party of the early 1970s, as
not being part of the workers movement. If you had to wait for proof that
the Workers League was an enemy of the left, you would be in a very
vulnerable position.

In the 1970s, the Workers League went on a huge campaign to prove that
Joseph Hansen, a leader of the SWP, was an FBI agent. They hounded him
everywhere he went. The WL kept getting stranger and stranger until the
SWP made a *political* decision that they had crossed the line.

It is in conjunction with Malecki's behavior on this list with the obvious
falsehood of his antiwar exploits that has enabled me to make this
calculation. If you don't agree with me, fine. I do not intend to persuade
anybody of this. I do however seek to have words with anybody at this
point, besides Rodwell, who thinks this guy has anything in common with
the Berrigans, et al.