Adolfo's sense of humour = ice-picks

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Sep 24 15:14:14 MDT 1996

     1)  Well, Adolfo, you are again exhibiting your
ignorance of Mexico, as well as your notorious sexism.
Frida Kahlo was considerably more than "a jeaolous [sic]
Mexican painter's wife."  She is now regarded in her own
right as probably second only to Rivera in the pantheon of
Mexican painters.  Her star is rising and many consider her
to be superior to him.  There is a virtual cult of Kahlo
now in Mexico, rivaling that of the Virgin of Guadelupe.
     2)  Your claim that it was ridiculous for Stalin to be
concerned with Trotsky at that time is itself ridiculous.
Despite the efforts of his trials and purges, the Fourth
International had been founded and its Transitional Program
had been issued in 1938.  Stalin was very concerned about
Trotsky and had every reason to want to eliminate him.
     3)  The source you are going to have trouble refuting
is Sudoplatov.  He is still a loyal admirer of Stalin and
his Cheka-descended organs and very proud of his own role
in spying on the Manhatten Project (btw, he declares that
the Rosenbergs were strictly peripheral small fry and thus
McCarthyite scapegoats, although his account of what
happened in Moscow after their execution is quite
fascinating).  He is very proud of the organs' success at
assassinating Trotsky and he lays it all out very clearly,
including the fact that the orders came from Stalin
himself.  This is not an MI6 agent talking in this book.
     4)  And finally we have your nonsensical argument that
statements by Mercader are to be taken at their face value,
sort of like how we are supposed to believe confessions in
the Moscow Show Trials.  Of course a Stalinist agent would
be instructed to claim he was a Trotskyist.  Really,
Adolfo, for such a smart guy you can be incredibly naive!
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley
rosserjb at jmu.edu