Malinovsky

Vladimir Bilenkin "achekhov at unity.ncsu.edu" at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 26 08:35:27 MDT 1996

Hugh Rodwell wrote:

> [...]
>
> But wait a second. Aren't the "leading revolutionaries" on this list such
> worthies as Lou P, Adolfo and HMV Henwood?
>
> So where do the boundaries for "exaggerated" as opposed to "justified"
> respect for working class origin go?
>
> And the important question of the facts, of course. What facts were
> available that Lenin should have recognized?
>
> What *facts* do we have in our own case of libel against Bob M? *None*. A
> few rotten assertions slung out by Louis P. A few words of braggadocio
> about spending his vacation backing them up -- and then NOTHING. NOTHING.
> NOTHING.
>
> Note here the supercilious arrogance with which Louis P presumes to condemn
> Lenin for not recognizing Malinovksi, a real spy, while he himself is much
> more clear-sighted and unfazed in the face of pressures from workerist
> reverse snobbery, and sees a police spy where there isn't. Oh glorious
> revolutionary example to us all! If only we had your pellucid brain and
> unclouded vision! Lenin the knucklehead, the reverse snob, the defender of
> lousy spelling and police spies! Defender of people with a "poor
> background" and "limited education"! Louis P the seagreen incorruptible
> exposer of all lousy spelling and police spies! Louis our saviour from
> people with a "poor background" and a "limited education"!
>
> >8. A manner of discussing that 'made me feel tired immediately'
> >(Voronsky).
>
> What was Lenin's opinion on that?
>
> >9. A career episode in publishing and journalism, despite the
> >limitations of his language skills.
>
> Louis is out to cleanse the publishing world of editors and proof-readers.
> Stalin's Russian wasn't so hot either, come to that. Most writers and
> journalists scrape some sort of living together, despite the limitations of
> their language skills. Most contributors to political journals would rot in
> hell if their work was judged on the basis of their language skills! Maybe
> Louis can dig up some survey or other where political value is correlated
> to spelling skills? Or if he can't, maybe Doug can? Dan Quayle can't spell
> for potatoes, so maybe he was a spy acting as vice-president of the US?
>
> So once again Factoid Man has piled a heap of ill-smelling refuse on our
> nice clean cyberlawns, and draws our attention to it by hopping up and down
> on top of it pointing for all he's worth and making more din than a
> roomfull of parrots.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hugh
>
> PS It's good to know the unity-list takes all of cyberspace into account
> when it decides who to let on and who to keep off. Louis performances here
> undoubtedly give him some desirability for the unity-list discussions.
> Perhaps it's because he's a second Lenin come to judgement, only better,
> cos he's got a way of justifying censorship, disruption and exclusion by
> accusing people who disagree with him of being police spies.

Well done, Hugh!  I can only add that Louis' grotesque behavior and
his maniacal charges against Robert may be a case of guilt transference.

I believe that he not only willingly ignored a real provocation against a
real revolutionary on this list, he actually got carried away by his petty
offence, his false pride and let himself to be drawn in it.

And I think he knows this.  How else could we explain his silence
to my repeated requests to answer a simple question:

 >True, you have infinitely more political experience than I do.  So let me
>learn from you. You claim that a seasoned left politician can confidently
>accuse some one in being a provocateur - which is the most serious charge
>possible - on the following basis:

 >       - this person tell lies about his past

  >      -his behavior is "disruptive" for list discussions

>Have I missed something else?  I don't think so. Unfortunately, you
>have not specified what do you mean by "disruptiveness." I am not
>a native speaker, of course.  So I may not be aware of all possible
>meanings of this word, but to my knowledge, disruptive does not
>include: informing on revolutionaries, provoking splits between them,
>intimidation to obtain secret information from them, or to force them to
>change the course of their struggle, or to stop them from proclaiming
>their views publicly and disseminating information about their struggle.

>Am I correct, Louis, that all of the above belongs to the concept
>of the provocateur but not to the definition of disruptive behavior?
>Would you be willing to call someone a provocateur if it were
>demonstrated by quotes from this person's writings that they
>(the writings) had intention to achieve all of the above?

>I will trust your judgment.

>Vladimir

>I am still waiting, Louis.  Why, my question sounds so simple.

>Just say: YES or NO.

Vladimir