Interview with Peruvian General Sinecio Jarama (Part II

hariette spierings hariette at easynet.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 03:50:18 MDT 1996

>>I think I am beginning to get it. The key to everything
>>else is the new concept of revolutionary war.  Military
>>action is entirely subordinate to political one. It is
>>only a scaffolding for a revolutionary organization of
>>SOCIETY.  And as we don't want from our scaffolds anything
>>but a bare minimum necessary to support the construction of
>>the building, so THIS concept of revolutionary war implies
>>only the necessary minimum of military action proper.
>>
>>Now, this concept also includes that of the state, which
>>is the state in the making, the state on the move, so to
>>speak. The process of revolutionary war then is nothing
>>else but the growing of a new social organization WITHIN
>>the womb of the old. The scaffolds fall, and behold...a
>>new Revolutionary State unfolded!  That's it!
>>
>>This opens up a very different prospective on the
>>problematics of the state; at least, very different from
>>that faced by Lenin.
>>
>>Now, even putting aside for a time this monumental vision
>>in its entirety, this concept of revolutionary strategy
>>deserves a most careful study re its applicability elsewhere.
>>I'm thinking, of course, of Russian situation which I know
>>better than anything else. One problem that I can see now
>>is that such strategy seem to presuppose the existence of
>>sufficiently autonomous anclaves within the country to serve
>>as operating bases, the "backbone."
>>
>>In the first part of his interview,
>>the General put considerable emphasis on the fragmented socio-
>>cultural composition of the Peruvian society (his laments about
>>the Spaniards and the lack of a unified national space). Russia
>>does have such space, though the process of fragmentation (economic,
>>administrative, and political) has set in. I have to give more
>>thought to this subject.
>>
>>In any case, the concept of the armed strike or other type of
>>action can and must be introduced to industrial action in Russia.
>>Could you describe what it involves and give a concrete example
>>of an armed strike?  After 1905, Russian Maximalists used
>>industrial and agrarian forms of terror.  But this was something
>>different. Above all, these acts were not integrated into a
>>strategic POLITICAL plan.  No wonder they had no lasting
>>political effect and only helped reaction.
>>
>>Strategy and plan is everything. Now, the question is what
>>OBJECTIVE conditions of Pruvian society and the state in their
>>internal and international relations made it possible to
>>develop a strategy and a plan that could be acted upon for
>>over 16 years? (If the General is right in saying that the
>>"Shining Path has not abandoned anything"). Such long term
>>strategy and plan seem to be viable only under condition
>>that the ruling class will not be able to provide a strategic
>>response to an insurgency, i.e. to deeply reconstruct social
>>relations and achieve relative economic prosperity.  Unless,
>>of course,  such strategy and plan imply the concept of
> [...]

Come on Bob - seriously - take a cold shower and listen carefully before you
talk.  Vladimir is not eating anything here.  He has - demonstrating that he
has the frame of mind of a Marxist - understood well the importance of this
study while you have not even got yourself in gear yet.

Moreover, unlike you, what Vladimir says is what any Marxist worth its salt
would say:  How does all this NEW DEVELOPMENT - how does this FASCINATING
NEW CONCEPTION - can be applied to a concrete reality I know!  That is how a
dialectical process of application of general experience to a concrete
reality - noting the differences as well as the similarities, looking at
what can be useful - for example his interest in studying the concept of the
armed strike and his quick realisation of its universal importance.  That is
how a Marxist's frame of mind works, Malecki.  It has nothing to do with
eating cornflakes or Swedish flapkacks for breakfast. Take a cold shower and
wake up.

Moreover - also unlike you - Vladimir has grasped that here is not "Aldolfo"
who is speaking, but a REACTIONARY PERUVIAN GENERAL, and therefore,
correctly he wants to see the rest of that interview - and I assume all the
other points of view worth listening and which are given within a LIVING
REVOLUTIONARY SITUATION.

I will of course continue to translate this and other interviews, even if
only because Vladimir (and I really hope he is not the only one) is
listening with attention.  It would be a concrete improvement to your
reputation in this list if you could pull yourself out of your trance into
some degree of - if not understanding which may be too much to ask from you
knowing your record - basic respect (and hopefully a reduction of your
static presence) for what others are trying to do to illustrate you, no
matter how hopeless that task may appear to the world.

Adolfo