THERESA CRUZ - A VICTIM OF VIOLENCE AND THE SYSTEM (fwd)

Spoon Collective spoons at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Sat Sep 28 00:58:38 MDT 1996

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 19:55:01 -0400
From: Mjhuth at aol.com
To: vanessa_huth at jsi.org
Cc: nalexan at umich.edu, hi_there at dnai.com, abonowitz at igc.org,
        spusa at rednet.org, globalexeh at igc.org, solidarity at igc.apc.org,
        hamelink at gn.apc.org, nemenzo at klink.com.ph, iire at igc.apc.org,
        editors at asiaweek.com, twn at igc.apc.org, wftu at login.cz,
        ogr at nsknet.or.jp (toshimaruogura), saprebel at dds.nl,
        info at uml.wlink.com.np,
        aditjond at psychology.newcastle.edu.au (g.aaditjondro), tapol at gn.apc.=
or
Subject: THERESA CRUZ - A VICTIM OF VIOLENCE AND THE SYSTEM

IF ANYONE WANTS TO BE TAKEN OFF THIS LIST, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  Thanks.  I
got your address from someone who said you might be interested in the
following.
***
********************

Fall/Winter, 1996

A LETTER FROM
THE CHILDREN OF THERESA CRUZ

Our names are Andrea, Anntoinette, Carlitos and Adriana (6 years old).  We
are children who are victims of Domestic Violence and suffer pain and terro=
too.  We pray you will take time to read what we have to say.

(Carlitos, 12)  Our mother is a Battered Woman, serving a life-sentence at
Frontera Prison.  In 1991, our mother was sent to prison for Attempted
Murder.  My father was shot in the legs, my father is not crippled, maimed =
or
dead.  His life has continued while ours has been hurt and destroyed.  Our
mother moved five times in three years, my father beat her, stalked her and
robbed her over and over again, and then made her believe that he was going
to take me away from her and she would never ever see me again.  This was n=
ot
only a crime to us children, it was a tragedy.  Recently, many laws have be=
en
changed for battered women in the courts, but what happens to women such as
my mother, whose abuse was not allowed to be given as evidence in her trial=
 -
she has been convicted, and has become a forgotten victim.

(Andrea, 16)  I went to Sacramento, California twice with my grandmother to
testify in front of the State Legislature, about a proposed law for the Boa=
rd
of Prison Terms regarding Battered Women, AB231. I took with me police
reports, photographs of our mother after various beating and cards that her
abuser would leave in our mailbox signed "Black Friday the 13th".  I also
took police reports of the various break-ins at our home.  In October 1995,
we were informed that AB231, the bill on which I testified on behalf of our
mother and family, passed the legislature, was signed be Governor Wilson, a=
nd
went into effect January 1, 1996.  Our mother=92s case was a major factor i=
achieving the passage of this Bill.  But she has received no consideration
under the Bill.  A copy of AB231 is on the reverse side of this letter.

(Anntoinette, 15)  Our mother has been in prison now for six years.  On May
22, 1996, she went for her consideration hearing for parole.  The Board of
Prison Terms commended her for all her achievements and for being a role
model inmate.  The Parole Board told her that she definitely fit the AB231
Bill, and that her case is a prime example of the results of Domestic
Violence.  At the end, they told her to continue doing everything she has
been doing because one day she will be free and with her children again.

When do we say "enough is enough"?  Was AB231 for real, or was it signed ju=
st
to look pretty in the public's eye? People, people, we cry to you for your
help.  We have worked so hard and we need you desperately.  If you support
the release of Theresa Cruz, please write two letters: One to Governor Pete
Wilson and one to the Board of Prison Terms, letting them know that you are=
voting citizen and you are aware of AB231, and that you are aware that
Theresa Cruz's case was the basis for passing AB231.  To this day, the Paro=
le
Board and Governor have done nothing for Theresa Cruz.  Insist that she be
reconsidered for Parole now.  Let them know they will hear from you until
they do something for Theresa Cruz, and insist that Bill AB231 be enforced =
its fullest and release Theresa Cruz.  WE NEED YOU TO BECOME A PART OF THIS
STRUGGLE.  We have to stand by each other, if we do, we know it will work,
BUT WITHOUT YOU, WE CANNOT DO IT ALONE.  God Bless You, and please write yo=
ur
letters.

Governor Pete Wilson=09=09The Children=09=09       Free Theresa Cruz Campai=
gn
State Capitol Building=09=093950 Debbyann Place=09Michela Huth, Coordinator
Sacramento, CA 95814=09=09San Diego, CA 92154=09144 North 9th Street, Apt 3=
=09=09=09=09=09=09=09=09=09=09                  Brooklyn, NY 11211

                                                                          P=
h:
(718) 963-2518

Board of Prison Terms=09=09     Theresa Cruz W-40058=09=09       =20
James W. Nielsen, Chairman=09Miller A, #32L=09=09=09       =20
428 J. Street, 6th Floor=09=09       Frontera, CA 91720
Sacramento, CA 95814