Heresy: why I support school vouchers

Mon Aug 2 20:55:20 MDT 1999

You're quite right that behind what I'm advocating is simply a variant of
the demand for free, universal publicly-funded (though not "public," in the
sense of state-monopolized) education. It is also true that the efficacy of
anything like vouchers -- even if suburban districts and private schools can
be forced to accept them -- will be undermined by practical considerations
like the distances involved, and so on.

And you're right that this issue --vouchers-- in a way only raises more
questions than it answers. I think that's pretty much in the nature of all
demands working people raise under capitalism. They way I see it, though, is
that despite overwhelming opposition from those the Black community
traditionally looks to for leadership, the simple idea of parents taking the
money for a child's education and choosing which school they go to has
struck a very deep chord in the Black and Hispanic communities.

That it should have done so is, in a way, surprising, given the unalloyed
right-wing credentials of its main proponents. I'll confess that I did not
consciously set out to figure out why. "Why" clubbed me over the head as I
tried to comfort my five-year-old daughter who wondered why her mommy and
daddy were insisting she had to go to this place of torture and abuse called
a school.

But my experiences were similar to those of millions of other parents, who
have, in one way or another, confronted the reality that inner-city schools,
even the "best" ones, view their mission as breaking wild animals to a life
as beasts of burden. That's why you get these 50 and 60% majorities for an
idea whose visible advocates are the racist enemies of the Black and
Hispanic community and are opposed by most of the liberal "friends" of the
community.

They do not necessarily think of it in the same terms I do. But one way or
another, they know the Atlanta schools, for example, are DENYING their
children the education other children are receiving at private schools or
"outside the perimeter", i.e., in the suburban counties that lie outside the
285 highway that surrounds the city core.

Jose