Text of Khrushchev's speech??

Workers World / Chicago wwchi at SPAMwwa.com
Tue Aug 3 23:02:34 MDT 1999

I decided to search the Web to see if I could find the text of Khrushchev's
speech to the 20th Congress of the CPSU in 1956.  I was rather confident
that I could find it - maybe more than one version, in the light of Mark
Jones' statement that the CIA had altered it - but at least one.

No such luck!  I found several pages of "excerpts" or "highlights" from it,
generally at academic sites, none of them giving any citation to the source
of their text, and none of them suggesting where the complete text would be
found.

The closest I came was a website at the University of Hokkaido (Japan) which
promised a link to the "full text" of the speech, but in fact the link was
dead.  The link was to a file at a strange website called rmt-website.org ,
which seems to be some guy in Indiana posting various articles about this
and that, most recently about Ocalan, interestingly enough.  But the
particular link seems to be gone.

Well, I'm temporarily stuck - that is, it seems as if further progress will
take actual work, unless one of you has a simple fix.

Does anyone know where a text of the speech, which YOU consider reliable,
can be found - in English or in Russian?

Mark, can you give a source for the CIA's admission that they altered the
text, and/or info about how they altered it?

If nobody comes up with anything in a couple days, I suppose I'll resume
digging.

Lou Paulsen
member, Chicago branch, Workers World Party