[AFIB] The 'New Right', Neofascism And Globalization (fwd)

Thu Aug 5 03:07:45 MDT 1999

>Response (Jim C)
>
>Right now in Blackfoot Country (Montana and Alberta) the number one growth
>industry is German tourists (paying up to $25,000 per person) coming to
>live
>as "savages" (living in teepees, dressing up in feathers and native dress,
>eating "savage foods", riding horses, hunting, taking peyote, doing sweats
>and participating in native dances and rituals). Almost every one of them
>(and this is a big fad in Germany) has been influenced by the writings of
>Karl May who wrote "Wild West" and "Primitive Red Savages" stories and was
>heavy influence on Hitler. (Hitler acknowledged May and noted that his
>stories about how effectively the "red savages" were dealt with by the U.S.
>government influenced his own policies and programs for dealing with the
>"Untermenschen" in captured territories.) The new tours of these Germans
>have replaced the pedophile and sex tours of Asia as number one on the
>"exotic tours" lists (no racist or ethnocentric attack against Germans in
>general is implied or intended here; it is just that it is a fact that
>people of German nationality are predominant among the new "tourists"
>seeking the "exotic", "primitive" and "savage" in Indian
>Country--particularly Blackfoot Country).
>
>Further there are groups like Helmut Heller's "Friends of Peoples Close to
>Nature" who openly use the term "savages" for Indigenous Peoples and who
>arrange tours on the one hand, while sewing ideological and racist
>divisions
>with attempts to penetrate Indigenous listservs and lists with patronizing
>and feigned concerns and "support" of "Savages to remain in savage states"
>on the other hand, proliferate and introduce ultra-rightist covers into
>Indigenous debates and activities.
>
>Jim Craven

These groups exist as a plague- all over the place the (in)famous Tom
Metzger has been playing the green card in a neo-Kipling style way, claiming
"we" have to "clean up" the ecomess left by "these people" in the colonies.
But we must be careful to realise that once a Petty-bourgeois kid enters the
eco struggle, as happens often in BC here, that we do not expect an
immediate miracle. After they have been involved with "negotiatiating" with
Interfor (or any corp.), the class struggle becomes clearer- and
Native/environmentalist cooperation has become under attack through many
"divide and conquer" schemes around these parts for quite awhile- witness
the amount of publicity that Paul Watson's racist ravings have been given,
while shutting out "moderates" on either side. Normally, only "moderates"
get any press....

Macdonald