Text of Khrushchev's speech??

Xxxzx Xyyxyz musides at SPAMadelaide.on.net
Sat Aug 7 17:53:44 MDT 1999

Macdonald,

>I am neither praising nor attacking Stalin.

>Not all Marxists consider Stalin "non Marxist".

  I agree, you are doing neither. You are however, assuming
Stalin/ists are Marxist, this is all I point out.

>It only serves division in a tiny, little movement.

  Division comes from many angles. Yes, keeping Stalinsim out of
Marxism shortens the territory of Marxism. Division of course also
occurs with the inclusion of Stalin. From the standpoint of unity,
either way presents problems, and so the only solution is to find the
truth of the matter and to accomplish that.

>point. Now, what we need to do is find a way to eliminate this,
>being selective about a divisive question, like Stalin, Trotsky
>etc.. will not promote neccessary unity at all.

  How can unity be achieved in ignorance? Unite with that I do not
know, that I do not understand? There is no sword over our heads at
present, action without thought is not necessary.

  Is it correct that Stalinists are intolerant of other working class
parties, and will be intolerant up to the point of execution of those
who follow different paths if necessary? Is this a part of Stalinism?
If so, how can you explain the contradiction: be tolerant of those
who are intolerant?

>being called either a Stalinist or a Trotskyist

  I called you neither Macdonald. I only pointed that you include
Stalinism with Marxism, with this as your premise, we were butting
heads. My opinion is open, and my knowledge is not certain, what I
need in order to follow this unity with Stalinism is an understanding
of how Stalinism, with all aspects of its theory in analysis, fits
into Marxism. The problem we are having is that you are saying it is
"wrong" or "pretensious" to define Marxism for the purpose of naming
groups Marxist or not; but without such a definition, we cannot know
if Stalinism is Marxist or is not. At present we have time to discuss
such things.

> all over there is a "with us or else" feeling on both sides of the
>Stalin question. I say we eliminate the question, like at a slow
>moving plannig session. Table it until a later meeting.

Some perspective at marxists.org:

  Stalin, Mao and Dimitrov were included with the general archive
since being created at marx.org, and remained over at marxists.org
with the general writers, in sum for about two years. A few months
ago we launched a discussion after several readers had written
letters protesting the inclusion. After much debate, the decision was
made to move them to a seperate section.

  We do include these writings, not side by side, but they are there,
without any bias attached in the form of notes before a document,
neither distroted in any way.

  David and I have changed the Reference page. The opening is a bit
more thorough now, and generally it looks better.

Xxxzx