Re(2): Fwd: Stalin's Grandson Elected in Georgia

jbm7 at SPAMtutor.open.ac.uk jbm7 at SPAMtutor.open.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 13:10:52 MDT 1999

And a generation or two after his death many French people revered
Napoleon. Why a majority made his much more untalented nephew President
and most did not object when he made himself emperor.

Herzen felt that the Left of its time had to overcome its nostalgia for
the Napoleonic cult. Marx lampooned all this in one of his classic
writings.

A lot of the Russian nostalgia for Stalinism is a patriotic thing, on the
lines of when Stalin was alive things were great Russia was a great power
etc.

When I was talking to Hillel Ticktin he remarked about the mass town/city
mobilisations of the wiorkers in Russia which in spite of their depth and
effectiveness seemed to fizzle out. We both thought that the reason for
this is the lack of an alternative to Yeltsin and his imitators. Until a
party emerges like the Blosheviks that has mass support and offers a way
out of the morass of the collapse of the USSR history will keep repeating
itself.

I think of that scene in the Eisinstein (cannot remember spelling) where
Kerensky and his rivals dream of emulating the feats of the Napoleonic
counterrevolution making order out of chaos.
Jim Monaghan