Text of Khrushchev's speech??

Sat Aug 7 02:45:51 MDT 1999

>Hi Macdonald,
>
>  You begin asking me to show a Marxist who has not practiced as
>Stalin, then you state your former question now as a fact: all
>Marxist revolutionaries have killed a worker.

Brian, it does seem that you can't grasp something that I have tried to
point out- I am neither praising nor attacking Stalin. I don't like emotion
on an academic point: Not all Marxists consider Stalin "non Marxist". To say
he is accomplishes the goal of isolating one side of a useless debate, just
as Stalin but not Trotsky would. Frankly, I enjoy the polemics for myself,
but on the question of Lenin-Stalin-Trotsky, I believe that it is important
to try to superseed the debate- I know great "Stalinists" as people,
"Bolshevik-Leninists who will also be very invaluable when the "shit hits
the fan", when there is actually a movement. I am not trying to debate you
as to Stalins nature. I do not hate any of these leaders, nor do I love any
of these leaders- I read them all, and see what seems applicable. Living in
the suburbs of North America, these days very little about the five year
plan, the nep etc.. are very much this litmus test you want to lay out. It
only serves division in a tiny, little movement.

In fact, you also asked me why I spoke of reality. It could be put well by
you, for you wrote an excellent observation- we are at "square zero minus
one " if my memory serves right. Correct in point. Now, what we need to do
is find a way to eliminate this, being selective about a divisive question,
like Stalin, Trotsky etc.. will not promote neccessary unity at all. This
formulae (and now I speak as a true dreamer, but this is my belief, firmly)
has always helped us insult, fight, to be arguing right through an entire
war. "the nation question, man. It's the national question, I swear!!" I
would believe that it was just as horrid to exclude Trotsky and Stalin from
an archive than just one or the other; this is a dangerous move,
"mainstreaming the package" often mainstreams the politics. I feel much
better about making my point clear. Brian, comrade- if you felt slighted,
I'm sorry. I want to solve this problem and I don't take kindly to being
called either a Stalinist or a Trotskyist- all over there is a "with us or
else" feeling on both sides of the Stalin question. I say we eliminate the
question, like at a slow moving plannig session. Table it until a later
meeting.

To criticize the people's shortcomings is neccessary, as we have already
said, but in so doing we must truly take the stand of the people and speak
out of whole hearted eagerness to protect and educate them. To treat
comrades like enemies is to go over to the stand of the enemy.

Mao Tse-tung, "Talks at the Yenan forum on literature and art".

Ps: I'm not a Maoist either. This is just a great quote.