Fwd: [PEN-L:10002] Re: RE: Pen-l and the sharing of learning

Fri Aug 13 12:36:04 MDT 1999

I would like to get insights from economists on how business impacts politics and vica
versa, as in the discussion of the war on Yugoslavia. What were the economic motives
for the war. War is politics by other means (Clauswitz).  Yea, other violent means (
Lenin)

And politics is concentrated economics (Lenin).

Ergo, war is economics.

Charles Brown

Craven, Jim wrote:

> What exactly are "strictly" economic subjects? I know what the
> ultra-reductionist and linear neo-classicals mean by that, but I don't know
> what "progressive" economists mean by that.

Good point, Jim.  I think that the word, strictly, might not be appropriate.  I
was thinking of Louis's reviews of jazz or film as not being strictly economic
-- but yet valuable in their own right.  I did not mean that we should not veer
from "strictly" economic, but rather put more energy into renewing our economic
input.

Now, what does economic mean?  The majority of people on pen-l are economists.
I would like to see us concentrate more of our energies on bringing our
expertise to bear on subjects where we can make a positive contribution to
progressive causes.

I was thinking about the sort of questions that Audie Bock, the Green Member of
the California Assembly asked.  I would like to make our work more useful to
left/progressive organizations.  Jim, you of all people, working with the
Blackfeet group, should be aware of how much a person with some training in
economics can offer to help organizations accomplish their goals.

So, strictly may have been an ill chosen word, but I hope that you now
understand what I mean.

By the way, Audie Bock's office will be calling on us for more help.
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
michael at ecst.csuchico.edu