Reply to Jim Craven

Michael Perelman michael at SPAMecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Aug 13 11:35:34 MDT 1999

Craven, Jim wrote:

> What exactly are "strictly" economic subjects? I know what the
> ultra-reductionist and linear neo-classicals mean by that, but I don't
know
> what "progressive" economists mean by that.

Good point, Jim.  I think that the word, strictly, might not be
appropriate.  I
was thinking of Louis's reviews of jazz or film as not being strictly
economic
-- but yet valuable in their own right.  I did not mean that we should
not veer
from "strictly" economic, but rather put more energy into renewing our
economic
input.

Now, what does economic mean?  The majority of people on pen-l are
economists.
I would like to see us concentrate more of our energies on bringing our
expertise to bear on subjects where we can make a positive contribution
progressive causes.

I was thinking about the sort of questions that Audie Bock, the Green
Member of
the California Assembly asked.  I would like to make our work more
useful to
left/progressive organizations.  Jim, you of all people, working with
the
Blackfeet group, should be aware of how much a person with some training
in
economics can offer to help organizations accomplish their goals.

So, strictly may have been an ill chosen word, but I hope that you now
understand what I mean.

By the way, Audie Bock's office will be calling on us for more help.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
michael at ecst.csuchico.edu