Race segregation in Latin American schools

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky nestor at SPAMsisurb.filo.uba.ar
Tue Aug 10 15:48:43 MDT 1999

List,

The comments by Julio, Daniel and others on race
segregation in Latin American schools are correct to the
last comma. What is more interesting, however, is that the
two positions (segregated schools in the Caribbean,
desegregated schools -I can provide my own experience- in
the River Plate basin) are in fact two sides of the same
thing.

The strength of racial segregation in Latin American
schools is inversely proportional to the depth, extent and
power of the State schooling system, and directly
proportional to the depth, extent and power of the private
schooling system.

In countries where -due to different reasons- the State has
become the main provider of high quality education
(Argentina, 1900-1975 is the paradigm), the system
homogeinizes and democratizes access to people of the most
diverse "races", particularly at the elementary school
level. When the private sector is transformed into the main
educational system (as in Argentina, also, after 1975) the
racist component that lurks into the private system expands
and compounds with the racist tendencies that get stronger
with economic crises.

It is a little late now, but I hope I will be able to
expand on this later.

Nestor.