L-I: Chris Hani's legacy: Interview with ANC's ThenjiweMtintso

Wed Aug 11 14:47:32 MDT 1999

SNIP
>> "Macdonald Stainsby" <mstainsby at hotmail.com> 08/11/99 03:59PM
A question for Greg B or Lou Pa. :
   I will start by saying that I have come to garner a strong respect for
the WWP, beginning with your excellent work on the anti-war movement. I do
however have a question on this. Mandela/Mbeki's regime is fully capable of
putting a democratic face on Imperialism. Perhaps an analogy that is
appropriate would be "People's Power" led by Aquino- It seems that the was a
safety valve on an explosive keg. All that was once progressive of the
ANC/SACP/COSATU is long gone- very little other than "investment" has been
orchestrated by this tandem in recent months. I, for the life of me, have no
idea why any group would still want to flog it. In fact, I would expect
precisely the opposite- yet you continue to call the ANC "one of ours" and
for the life of me, I don't know why. Give me something tangible, for most
of the African communists that I have spoken with usually agree when I slam
Mandela. The militancy of the left in S Africa was assinated with Chris
Hani.

Charles: The role of the ANC/SACP/COSATU in accomodating capitalism and imperialism in
South Africa may be analyzed in analogy to the concessions of the Communist Party of
China to imperialism, only the South African Communists are in an even weaker
position.

Charles Brown