Translation hues (was Re: I know who Chavez is.)

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky nestor at SPAMsisurb.filo.uba.ar
Tue Aug 10 01:42:35 MDT 1999

Louis Paulsen has drafted a very good translation of
Julio's posting. Julio has made some comments, and -just
for the sake of complete clarity- I will give some
precission on things that may confuse English speakers and
Julio probably could not help skipping over.

Nestor.

El  9 Aug 99 a las 12:41, Workers World / Chicago nos
dice(n):

> OK, I got to it sooner than I thought.  The following is
> my best fast attempt at translating Julio's post.

[...]

> Simon Bolivar was the greatest political and military
> leader of South America in the 19th century [...]  His
> military apogee, the organization of a great armed state
> stretching from Panama to Lima in the conditions of 1820,
> is an inimitable accomplishment.   His republicanism, his
> jacobite democratism

I am not sure if the mistake is not just a clerical error.

But since it may confuse many, allow me to correct it: the
word is Jacobin, not Jacobite. Nothing to do with King
James, and lots with the French Jacobins (and, BTW, with
the Black Jacobins also: the most serious lessons on
Jacobinism he took were delivered by the Haitian President
during Bolivar's exile after his initial defeat).

> , his unchecked will to independence
> and liberty for the South American people is to this day
> the ideal in which our popular movements have grown up in
> our Great Fatherland from the time of Benito Juarez.

Another nuance: when we speak of Patria Grande, we are
not implying a romantic Volksgeist, we are referring to
what Marti used to call Nuestra America (Our America), or
Haya de la Torre proposed to call Indoamerica. In fact, the
best translation may be Large Homeland, since the wording
is intentionally plain Spanish (Great Fatherland would
translate the pompous Gran Patria, rather).

Nestor.